Chapter 7 - The Hunt for Aslan

The dwarf, whose name Edmund told Y/N was Ginarrbrik, pushed them with his whip back into the courtyard of statues. There, the children froze, as they saw something beyond horrifying. It was Mr Tumnus. And he was turned to stone! Both the children couldn't help but feel guilty - especially Edmund.
"Whenever you're ready, Son of Adam," the Witch spoke to Edmund from her sleigh.
And then Ginarrbrik was pushing them again. The Witch sat on the seat of the sleigh but made the children sit in the footspace. They rode out of the palace; Ginarrbrik whipping the reindeer and the Witch giving Edmund and Y/N cold stares. They cowered under her glare. After a while, she looked straight ahead and Y/N let out a breath she did not know she had been holding. In all her fright, she hadn't realised that it was very cramped and uncomfortable, sitting at the Witch's feet.
Y/N lay her head on Edmund's shoulder, the one thing she knew would give her some comfort. And it did.

**********

Presently, they all stood at the edge of a cliff, overlooking a waterfall. Yes, a waterfall. The ice was thawing.
"It's so warm out," Ginarrbrik said, adjusting his coat.
The Witch glared at him most threateningly.
"I'll go and check the sleigh." Ginarrbrik put his coat back on.
The children laughed softly.

"Your Majesty." Maugrim's pack was back, "We found the traitor. He was rallying your enemies near the Shuddering Woods."
One of the wolves threw a fox to the ground.
"Ah. Nice of you to drop in," the Witch said, "You were so helpful to my wolves last night. Perhaps you can help me now."
"Forgive me, Your-" the fox started, bowing low.
"Oh, don't waste my time with flattery," the Witch said impatiently.
"Not to seem rude, but I wasn't actually talking to you," the fox said to the Witch, nodding his head to Edmund and Y/N.
The children looked at each other. It was clear that neither knew what the fox was talking about. The Witch gave them one of her looks, before walking forward and pointing her wand at the fox.
"Where are the humans headed?"
Y/N's breath became more panicked when she watched the fox simply shake his head. The Witch raised her wand, ready to turn the fox to stone.
"Wait! No! Don't," Edmund cried, running in her way, "The beaver said something about the Stone Table and that Aslan had an army there?"
The Witch looked at Edmund, "An army?"
She then looked past Edmund at the fox, who sighed and let his head and tail hang low.
"Thank you, Edmund," she said, smiling slyly, "No, I'm glad this creature got to see some honesty... Before he died!"
"No!" Y/N cried.
The Witch struck her across the face, blowing her to the ground. She then took Edmund by the face.
"Think about whose side you're on, Edmund. Mine... Or theirs."
Edmund immediately turned to help Y/N up, both their eyes blinded by tears. Her shaky breath was enough to earn a hug from him.
And they stayed like that, until the Witch said, "If it's a war Aslan wants, it's a war he shall get."

**********

"Is our little prince uncomfortable?" Ginarrbrik walked around, taunting the children, who were tied against a tree.
"Does he want his pillow fluffed? Special treatment for the special boy! Is that what you wanted?"
He took out a dagger and held it against Y/N's throat. Edmund was about to kick him, but suddenly, a mass of battle cries and hooves were heard. The children were pulled into what first seemed like horses, but then Y/N realised that they were centaurs (Lucy had told her about them as well).
"Don't worry, Your Majesties. We're taking you back," one of the centaurs said.
"Back? Does he mean to the Pevensies?" Y/N wondered.