Chapter 11

"Usadem! Are you there!?"

She called out his name into a void but there was no one.

Her chest pulsed unnaturally as her hair clumped up with sweat and her teeth wrung against one another.

She needed to find him.

"Y-Young lady! Where are you going?", Joshua exclaims, arising from his kneeling position.

Soarir doesn't answer.

She doesn't hear him.

A swell ringing burst in her ears, blocking all sounds into opaque muffles.

"Usadem, where are you?!"

She felt regret.

Shame.

For forgetting her first friend in this world. Her polished ebony shoes wore off from mud and rocks as her ankles grew red from friction.

Needle-like pains pierced her lanky child legs.

But she didn't care.

She checked the markets, the fairs and many other gardens.

There was still no sign of her green-haired companion.

"If I was Usadem, where would I be?"

The sun began to set.

Soarir still hasn't found Usadem.

She eventually gave up and went back home with Joshua, who accompanied her throughout her search even though he didn't understand why or who she was looking for.

"Well you look exhausted"

Her head turned instantly to the familiar silvery voice.

It was Usadem.

An ecstatic emotion pushed her to run to her partner and embrace him tightly.

The overflowing feelings reached her eyes.

Usadem became stiff at this sudden act of affection. His hands reach her back hesitantly and eventually, he returned the hug.

No words were spoken.

It was just them under a billion of stars and three moons.

_____

"So you blow a bubble"

"That's all there is to it?"

"That's all there is to it"

Usadem chews the candy thoroughly, making sure it's rubbery enough to stretch. Soarir copies his actions.

Huge gum bubbles float in front of their faces as they threaten to burst any second. The young lady blinks in disbelief and worry that the gum won't stop growing.

Suddenly, Usadem inhales all the air in his bubble and disappears.

"Soarir dearest, someone's here to see you in the lounge room", Julian barges into the room.

At the sudden slam of the door, Soarir's bubble formed a tiny hole. The young girl nods as her bubble slowly deflates into an empty sack.

[Aaaw, you were almost there]

"It can wait"

Soarir waddles down the stairs, Joshua following her tail, and just when she was about to enter the lounge room, she heard chattering.

"Your Highness, would you like some sweets?"

"No, thank you"

Her eyebrow twitched at the voice.