Day 29

"How are you feeling?" Liam asked, putting a hand on hers as he sat next to the hospital bed, watching over her as she lay there weakly. Cassidy stood by the window across the room, crying to herself softly because she didn't want Mia to worry.

"I feel tired, Li," she whispered, tears threatening to spill down her cheeks. Her breathing had begun to slow down a few hours ago, her eyes beginning to feel heavier by the minute.

She didn't know what she was thinking when she went out for a drive four nights ago. She was not only scared, but she also felt empty. Her life had gone downhill since Zayn had left to go on tour with his band. Mia was happy for him, really, she was. But a part of her hated his fame for the fact that she wanted him all to herself.

"You'll be alright, Mia," Liam whispered. She sighed, her eyes fluttering closed.

"Do you think he'll come?" She asked.

"I- uh-," he didn't know what to say. Neither did Cassidy.

"I thought so, too," she choked out, one stray tear sliding down her cheek.

"Mia, you love him and-"

"Thank you, Liam," she said, interrupting what he was going to say, "for being here with me."

"I'll always be here for you, Mi," he said, his hand moving up to wipe away some tears. "I will always love you."

"Thank you, too, Cass. I appreciate all you have done for me, for sticking by my side no matter what. I love you so much," she said, looking over at Cassidy, who only began to cry even more at her best friend's words.

Then, tears streamed down Mia's cheeks with ease, letting Liam know that she had had enough. He leaned over and hugged her.

He didn't let go and that's when he walked in. No one had noticed his arrival. And it hurt him to see Mia so weak in the arms of Liam. He knew of Liam's love for Mia, even though Liam had never told anyone. So when he saw Liam holding Mia so close, it pained him to see that another man who loved her almost as much as he did was there for her when all he did was push her away.

"Mia," he whispered, the pain too much for him to handle.

Cassidy turned around. Liam released Mia from his hold and looked up. Mia's eyes grew wide as she looked over at the boy whom she had loved and missed for months.

"You came," she whispered to herself, but still loud enough for Zayn to hear.

They stared at each other for what seemed like years.

"We'll leave you two alone," Cassidy said, clearing her throat as she grabbed Liam's arm, walking them out of the hospital room.

He walked over to her as soon as they left. He reached over and took a hold of her hand.

"You came," she said again.

"I did, didn't I," he said, smiling a little bit before breaking down into a fit of tears. He then rested his head in the crook of her neck, Mia quickly feeling the tears that fell from him.

"Mia, I'm so sorry," he let out. "I'm so sorry for leaving without telling you. I'm sorry for not visiting you. I'm sorry for not reading your messages. I'm sorry for everything. I'm-"

"Zayn," she said, crying at his worlds, "it's okay, you don't have to be sorry, I forgive you."

"Mia, please don't leave me," he begged, seeing how weak she really was. Her eyes looked dull, her lips were pale and chapped, she looked skinnier and very fragile. And yet she still looked captivatingly beautiful in Zayn's eyes.

"I won't, baby, I promise," she said, kissing the top of his head.

They sat there crying, savoring that moment with each other.

Then, she reached over and grabbed her cellphone, quickly typing something in before looking at him patiently.

He heard his phone ding, indicating the arrival of a message. He pulled out his phone, unlocked it, and read the message.

From: Mia

I love you.

He looked up at her and grinned, quickly typing in a response.

Her phone then dinged and she opened up their messages.

From: Zayn

I love you more, my love.

She looked up at him and he met her with a soft, tender kiss.

"I love you, Mia Flores, with all my heart," he said, grabbing both of her hands and leaving small kisses on her knuckles.

"I love you, too, Zayn Malik."

Mia died at 9:24 that night in the presence of her best friends: Liam and Cassidy, and in the presence of her one and only true love.

Zayn.