A Close Call

It did not take long for the Society of Rabbits to grow accustomed to their new lives. They graciously accepted the Beings' generosity each day, eating as much as they could in hopes of increases their chances of being Ascended. Every once in a while a Being would visit the pen and select individuals for Ascension, resulting in a celebration among the rabbits. Gregor came and went as he pleased--often bringing new rabbits to the pen--while the rest of the rabbits stayed put.

It took several days, but Molly eventually burrowed her way to the Land of the Protected to visit with Bonnie.

"Molly!" Bonnie exclaimed when she spotted her familiar runway of dirt on the surface of the grass. 

"You're not still hanging out with that mole, are you?" asked one of the children in disgust. 

Bonnie had gotten good at ignoring their hurtful comments. "Indeed I am," she replied with no hesitation. 

After a moment, Molly's small head emerged from the ground, outside the pen. "Bonnie?" she called out, sniffing around.

"Yes, hello!" replied Bonnie through the chickenwire. "I'm so happy you're finally here!"

"Me too!" said Molly, turning to face Bonnie. "That was the longest dig I've ever been on. How are you liking your new place?"

"I love it!" Bonnie said cheerfully. "The food here is so delicious and it never ends! And the sunlight! I had no idea what I was missing back at the burrows. Basking in the sun is so wonderful, Molly."

"I bet it is," said Molly, smiling. 

"Oh, and you'll never believe it," Bonnie started, "our protector is a cat! Back at the burrows, I would shudder at the thought of ever coming face to face with a Predator, but Dingy--the cat--is unlike any Predator I've ever heard of. Sure, he's a bit odd, but he keeps us safe!"

"Oh, wow, a cat?" asked Molly hesitantly. "That is interesting indeed."

The two continued to share their stories, just as they did back at the burrows. At night, Bonnie would sleep in the hutch with the other rabbits, and Molly would sleep in her burrow nearby. For the first time in her life, Bonnie felt as though everything was perfect.

***

One day, while Gregor was out and about and the rest of the rabbits were grazing on some grass, something terrifying happened. Out of nowhere, a massive hawk began circling in the sky above the pen. The rabbits, terrified for their lives, rushed into the protective hutch. Bonnie, however, noticed that one of the children had fallen asleep in the grass. Though she was terrified, she ran out to the child to try and wake him.

"Wake up, wake up!" she cried. The hawk was rapidly getting closer. "Please!" she cried, "Wake up!"

The child finally woke up from his deep slumber, "Huh? What's going on?" he asked groggily, looking around.

"We have to get to the hutch!" she cried, pointing at the sky. "There's a hawk!"

The child seemed to have fallen into such a bad food coma that he stumbled to walk forward, even with Bonnie's guidance. Bonnie looked up--the hawk had gotten so close that she could see its talons poised and ready. She looked at the lethargic child frantically and then to the hutch filled with rabbits. She had to make a decision, and fast. Should I stay with the child, or save myself? She looked up once more; the hawk was diving in now. It was too late. I'm going to die, just like my mother, she thought to herself. Frozen in a state of panic, Bonnie accepted her fate and flattened herself to the ground as best she could.