Fragmented Trust | Part 22

The expedition was still a few weeks away and our squad was stationed outside the base. Petra and the others were enjoying their time cleaning the base while Levi, Hange and I were rode out from the base near an empty well where Eren was placed into so Hange could conduct her experiments. She'd been itching to finally have permission to conduct them, and I was the unfortunate one that happened to promise her that I would help.

"Ready to start Eren?" Hange enthusiastically asked, peering over the edge of the well, "Once we're ready, we'll fire off a smoke signal. What you do after that is up to you."

I peered over the wall as well to see Eren lift up his hand in confirmation.

"Understood!" He replied from the depths of the well. I turned my gaze to Hange as her eyes lit up with excitement.

"This dry well will be able to restrain a titan even if it's out of control. Probably." Hange whispered the last part to herself and I quickly let out a small sigh as I pushed myself away from the ledge and stood straight again.

"Hange, let's back up." I said, slightly patting her shoulder. She quickly nodded with the same expression on her face as she took a few steps away from the well. We headed to our horses that were stationed a bit father away from the well and quickly mounted them. After taking a few steps back, I quickly grabbed a green flare from the pouch sitting atop of my horse and shot it into the air.

A small bang, followed a trail of green smoke launched into the air. There was the signal, now we just had to wait for Eren.

Everything went silent and even the wind ceased to blow as the tension hanging in the air raised a little. I'd never seem Eren transform before, so my heart and muscles were tense as we stood idle.

We patiently waited for and signs of a transformation, however, after a minute passed, I grew a bit confused. What was taking so long?

"I wonder if he didn't see the signal?" Hange asked, a bit bewildered at the situation. I slightly nodded, wondering if my flare was off and he didn't see it. It was possible.

"No, Y/N's flares are never off, nor were we particularly certain this would work in the first place." Levi answered before tugging the reins of his horse and headed towards the well. My eyes widened a bit at his statement, but Hange and I quickly followed behind him.

"Oi, Eren! The experiment's on hold." Levi yelled from a distance as he got off of his horse and walked towards the well. I quickly headed over and Hange followed right behind me as we walked to stand beside Levi. However, as I reached Levi and peered down into the well, my eyes widened at the sight.

"Is something wrong?" Hange curiously asked as she approached the well, however, as she stopped and peered over the wall, she also was shocked at the sight.

"E-Eren..." I whispered under my breath as I peered down the well in fright. He was covered in blood and some had even stained the sides of his mouth as he held up his hands that were covered in teeth marks. The flesh of his hands were exposed and I could see the straight damage he'd done to them as they were covered with multiple teeth marks.

"Hange...I can't turn into a titan." Eren voice shook as he spoke barely above a soft whisper, staring back up at us in shock. I drew my gaze back to his hands and noticed that there was no signs of healing. No steam or any signs of repair were showing causing me to furrow my brows a bit.

"Eren, don't worry about that. The experiment's called off. Come up here quickly and get bandaged up." I reassured him and he then turned his gaze to me as stilled seemed a bit out of it.

"H-Hai!" Eren quickly replied as he approached the rope and used his tattered hands to climb up the ladder. I watched as he winced when clamping his hands over the rough rope and pulled himself up from the well.