Marry A Choice - Harry Potter FanFic.net

Hello again. I found this other story on this site:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2453202/1/Marry_A_Choice

Enjoy ^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prologue: Letters of Portent

Mrs. Jane Granger

43 Tiddlywinks Drive

Horley

Oxfordshire

February 14th, 1998

Dear Jane,

How are you? How's Howard and the practice? Did that potion relieve your symptoms? I find it invaluable, myself. I'm just glad that the code of secrecy doesn't apply to you, else I would have to be sneaky about getting it to you.

I'm afraid that this letter isn't purely social in intent. I have some rather nasty news that may affect Hermione. I don't know if she's told you about this, but this is one of those things that is too important to leave you in ignorant bliss.

The Ministry, the bastion of stupidity that it is, has a bill waiting in the wings that will probably destroy what remains of the wizarding community of Britain if it should become law. We don't know precisely who wrote the bill, but we're pretty sure that it comes from those of little foresight and large empty pockets.

The way they're rationalizing it (in secret meetings with wand oaths keeping word from getting round, bless Albus for having the unimpeachable trust of everyone that he does) is by deeming it necessary to force our society out of its segregationist ways that helped bring about the defeated Lord Voldemort. This proposal, titled, the Marriage Bill, is supposedly noble in purpose, if not in effect. It will make it mandatory for purebloods to marry muggleborns. The compensation for the purebloods is the freedom of choice of muggleborns, and the time to make the decision. Muggleborns, however, if they are petitioned, their only choice is if they get more than one offer. So far in the creation of the bill, those with mixed heritage, such as a person with one muggle and one magical parent, are exempt, though for how long I cannot guess.

As if that were not enough, the law also stipulates that the couple must produce two children, to "help recreate the days of Merlin, when magic was revered." Those of us who are opposed to this bill are trying to find ways of alerting the wizarding population without tipping off the ministry in the process (hence the privacy charm on this letter. If anyone other than you or Howard tried to open this it would have incinerated itself). If there's enough public outrage then it won't pass, and with that outrage Dumbledore will be pardoned for his "indiscretion."

The good news in all of this is that your daughter, with her brilliant mind and steadfast determination, is working on ways to battle this bill. She's not been called the cleverest witch of her age for nothing, so hope is not lost.

The bad news is that I forgot to mention one of the more insidious parts of the bill, called the binding clause. In effect it stipulates that any witch or wizard born in Britain, names collected from the Hogwart's list, unless already married or past child rearing age, will be subject to the law. No escaping by moving abroad, or even snapping one's wand and becoming a muggle.

Albus, Arthur, Minerva and I will not let anything happen to Hermione, Jane. She's been through too much already, and she's dear to all our hearts. I dare say Ron would be making this of little consequence if he were still with us, but... If necessary I know that any of my remaining boys would be willing to help Hermione out. She's our family as well.