Part 1

They were all free souls running from themselves. Misfits that kept looking to the stars to find the light again. The worst of this rag-tag group was Kayla. She wasn’t just a free soul, she was insane. Ciara came in a close second, and not far behind trailed Stef. The unholy trinity they called themselves. When together they shined like the light of a full moon. Unbreakable as a group, but past the point of mending as individuals.

Kayla barged through Ciara and her lover, Nick’s apartment door.

"Are you guys ready?" She said looking around the room. She counted four people. Ciara, her two little brothers; Leo, Jay, and Nick.

"Yeah, I think so." Ciara said grabbing her and her brothers’ bags. Nick took his own back and stood up from the couch he was sitting on. The boy was tall compared to Ciara and Kayla; they suffered from being vertically challenged.

"Ok, Bunny is waiting outside. When we get to… the place… she’s got enough food for a few days but-"

"Kayla," Nick said cutting the frantic girl off, "We can worry about that when the time comes, right now we have to go before…" He stopped and looked at the little boys standing beside him, "before you-know-who gets here."

Kayla rolled her eyes and started to leave when she heard the oldest of the two little boys, Leo who was ten, pipe up and ask, “Is Voldemort after us?”

Ciara and Nick laughed as Kayla continued to walk out the door. They got to where Bunny was outside. Leo and Jay ran up and hugged her. While Ciara and Nick said there hello’s to the girl from a distance. Bunny was a spunky girl, she was Ciara, Nick, and Stef’s age, 18. Kayla was a year younger than all of them. Well technically, she was only six months younger than her girlfriend, Stef, but grade wise she was a year younger. Anyway, Bunny, she was the type of girl you’d want to talk to at 3AM with a pizza box on the floor and Fall Out Boy blasting in the background. She was a girl who stood for letting her hair down and being alive in the moment… but not at this moment. She was a very different girl at this moment. Bunny’s dirty brown hair was covering her eyes, her jacket hood was pulled up, and she had her tiny hands jammed into her pockets. She was scared. As stated before, Kayla and Ciara were very short, but Bunny was the shortest of them all. A tiny girl, but her Starbucks Latte, white girl appearance was very deceiving to the hardcore rocker girl that was buried inside. While Bunny and the others chatted, Kayla listened intently until she heard the ear piercing, heart shattering, breath stopping, sound.

"GUYS SIRENS WE HAVE TO RUN AND GO!" She screamed as she began to sprint. The others cursed and began to run with her. The little boys were in front of everyone, Kayla barked orders at where they should turn on the (what seemed to be) never ending sidewalk.

"THIS ONE RIGHT HERE BOYS THIS IS STEF’S APARTMENT!" Kayla said coming to a halt.

"Have you guys told Stef anything yet?" Bunny asked.

"No." Ciara said.

"Oh." Bunny said as she shuffled closer to Stef’s apartment. They could still hear the flaring sirens in the distance although they fled from the scene. Kayla knocked on the door until Stef entered and the gang quickly entered apartment 307. They stood in Stef’s tiny kitchen until she finally spoke up, "Do you guys realize it is three o’clock in the morning." She said glaring at Kayla mostly.

"Stef we need to talk." Ciara said. An immediate look of panic shot across Stef’s face.

"Uh oh." She said backing away.

"Stef…" Kayla chirped up. Stef felt like she recognizing the pattern of this event.

"What did you do?!" She asked her girlfriend.