Chapter 9: Rusting Over

A day had passed since Shikikan and company helped the Ironbloods rebuild what the azur lane had destroyed, but strange feelings were starting to stir in both the commander and Shinano as they look back at that day.

"Now that I think of it... Something was REALLY off about them." Shikikan mumbles as he turns to Shinano, who's having more or less the same feelings as he is. "Have the Ironbloods ever acted that way before?"

"Not that I can recall." Shinano replies. "I can remember like it was yesterday."

"Probably because it was." Shikikan chuckles and Shinano breaks out into a little giggle at the snarkiness of Shikikan's comment. "Shall we wind the day away with Dragon's chess?"

"Why not?" Shinano replies as he brings out the board and pieces. "You've been teaching me a lot."

"And you've been learning very quickly." Shikikan says as the two begin a game. "But I can't help but poke at the back of my mind with these weird feelings."

"I haven't quite been able to push them back either." Shinano mumbles.

Flashback begins

"We can't thank you enough for pitching in when it mattered most." Bismarck says as she looks at the repairs with Shikikan and Shinano. Some of Shikikan's units are busy helping out the girls with the heavylifting while others aid in more precise repairs.

"Even then the damage isn't too bad." Shikikan replies. "At best it's just machine gun holes and at worst it's the bombs that they may have dropped."

"I saw some sea hornets flying about. It's a miracle that you managed to shoot those things down because we were struggling very hard against them." Z2 says as she walks past them, overseeing the repairs personally like a forewoman. "How did you do it?!"

"A little Sakura Empire magic I guess?" Shikikan jokes and everyone laughs. "Nah, it just took some mad dogfighting skills to bring those big birds down."

"I've got my planes out there to make sure that they don't try anything else." Shinano says as one of her saiun scouts flies over their heads.

"You sure are extremely powerful, aren't you?" Bismarck asks.

"I am yes." Shinano replies. "Nowhere near as strong as you but strong enough."

"Now you're just flattering me." Bismarck chuckles. "How do you do it?"

"Do what?" Shinano asks.

"How are you always ready for whatever the azur lane throws at you?  You'd either have to have sheer dumb luck or crazy mad planning eons ahead of what you're at." Bismarck replies.

"...How come you want to know?" Shikikan asks. "Everyone has their secrets. You wouldn't tell us yours, we wouldn't tell you ours."

"But we're allies. It's only fair that we get to know." Bismarck replies. "Isn't that right Z2?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah." Z2 says, surprised that she's suddenly been thrown into the conversation. "It wouldn't hurt."

"Yeah, what she said." Prinz Eugen says as she walks over. "It wouldn't hurt to know at least a little bit~" She giggles as she attempts to caress Shikikan's chin, but he quickly slaps away her hand before she can fully grab. "Ow... You hit hard for a mere human."

"I'm tougher than most." Shikikan says, rubbing the palm of his hand. "Would you really be willing to exchange something that could mean you get crippled?"

"An ally is supposed to help you." Eugen replies. "If they aren't your ally then what else are they?"

"I understand that, it's just I don't understand what's suddenly got you so privy about us." Shikikan says.

"Repairs are almost done." Z2 says. "Once again thanks."

"Yeah, no problem." Shikikan replies. "My men are not ones you underestimate."

"Care to join us for a banquet at some point?" Eugen asks.

"A... Banquet?" Shikikan asks.

"Oh don't mind her she likes to throw these kinds of parties a lot." Bismarck replies. "I mean they're fun and all but I do believe you throw them a little often than most."

"Oh now you're just being a sauerkraut!" Eugen laughs. "I would love it if you girls joined, especially if you're there Shi-ki-kan~" She says, booping Shikikan on the nose with each syllable before finally caressing his chin.

Flashback ends

"That was certainly weird of them." Shikikan mumbles. A half hour has passed and neither side is giving up. A small pile of fallen pieces can be seen on either side of the board, and Shikikan has lost more units than Shinano, putting him at a disadvantage.

"That was." Shinano mumbles back as she makes one last move. "And that's checkmate."

"Damn." Shikikan chuckles as he realizes there's no way out. "You win again. What is that, 1-2 now?"

"You did say first to three." Shinano replies. "Another game?"

"Why not?" Shikikan says.