I. Butterfly Effect

❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉

  According to chaos theory, the flapping of a butterfly's wings can influence something as destructive as a tornado. 

     It's an alarming thought, really. How could something so inconsequential lead to an event that brings such sorrow and ruin? Would a falling petal cause a tsunami? Could a violent earthquake be traced back to a plastic bag blowing in the breeze? It's impossible to know with complete certainty, and honestly, that's probably for the best.

     To some, the notion would seem absurd. For others this idea could be the rabbit hole that spirals the human mind into endless paranoia. Whatever the case, there is  a bright side to such a grim thought. While it could be said that life is nothing but an unpredictable domino effect, that doesn't mean that every outcome will be inherently bad.

     Incredible instances of joy and light can stem from the smallest butterfly, just as the tornado might. A smile from a stranger may influence the eradication of a deadly disease. A simple gesture of kindness could be the catalyst for the end of a war, so on and so forth.

     The connection?

     People.

     The actions of ordinary people can cause the greatest good imaginable. Bad luck and misfortune will always exist, that much is true; but no amount of chance or coincidence can take away the hope for a better future. Believing in a better world and striving to make it a reality...

     "That is what it means to be a hero."

     One sunny May day is all it took to set everything in motion. The wheels of fate had been turning and there was no going back. The lives of many people would soon intertwine, and paths that once had crossed would soon meet again. Perhaps it was destiny that brought a remarkable group of people together. Perhaps it was all one big coincidence, a series of misunderstandings and chance encounters.

     Or perhaps a tiny butterfly had flapped its wings just right on the day that everything had changed...

❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉

     "...sayuri..."

     "...Sayuri."

     "SAYURI KATO!"

     "Wha- USE TUNGSTEN FOR THE HIGHER MELTING POINT!"

     "..."

     The most soul crushing silence greeted Sayuri Kato once her head shot up off the desk. In a panic, her brain had apparently decided that a vague support item modification held the highest chance for success in avoiding embarrassment. She was sorely mistaken. Her sudden outburst had instead managed to earn sporadic snickering from her peers; And a withering glare from her teacher.

     A not-so-quiet whisper sounded from her left.

     "Sayuri, uh..." Her red-headed classmate was frantically waving hand gestures at her. "This is Hero Informatics."