Chapter 4: The Devil Duke of the North Part 2

I gasped.

The devil duke of the north?

Even though I lived in the Wizard Tower since I was 7 years old, I knew him. To keep myself entertained, Konrad used to give me newspapers as well as books.

Caliban was notoriously known for being a tyrant. He was sent to the battlefield when he was only 13 years old and came back 5 years later as a war hero. Although the demon race had been exterminated many years ago, there are still many wars occurring between the human race.

Caliban inherited the Duke's position after he came back from the battlefield at the young age of 18. The people praised him as a hero, after all, he was the commander who led the army to victory. But soon the citizens' admiration turned into fear.

The young war hero was nothing but a bloodthirsty bastard. Caliban was a tyrant who knew nothing but to kill. For the past two years, all the servants in his duchy were brutally killed.

Caliban grinned at me. "I'm here to rescue you."

"M-me?!" I stuttered.

To my general knowledge, Caliban was 20 years old, 1 year older than me. Why would such a man of his status come to my tower and say that he was going to take me away? I never met him before, at least I think.

Before I was taken to the Wizard Tower at 7 years old, my memories had been erased, so it would be quite possible that I knew him when I was younger but I couldn't be sure but that was the only thing I could think of that made sense.

Caliban's blue eyes glowing faintly under the moonlight. He frowned slightly at my confusion.

"You...do you remember me?" He asked with an emotionless voice but I was able to make out a slight tremble in his cold voice.

"No," I said truthfully as I did not remember meeting him.

Caliban looked sad but it disappeared so fast that I thought I had imagined it.

He held out his hand and said, "Are you willing to go with me, to explore the world?"

Seeing his outstretched hand was like a symbol of hope to me.

My heart warmed as this was the first time someone other than Konrad showed kindness to me. After 12 years of yearning to be free, I finally had the chance to escape my bleak and lonely life.

I smiled at Caliban and was about to take his hand when I stopped.

Seeing me stop, Caliban asked, "What's wrong?"

"I have a tracking device on me that my father, the King, ordered to be placed on me," I said, showing him my cuffed arm.

Caliban picked up his sword that he had tossed a while ago and used it to take off the tracking device.

I stared up at him with huge eyes. "How were you able to take off the tracking device? It is made from a strong metal that not even the strongest weapons would be able to cut through it, thus the only way to be set free is by using the key."

"My sword is made from one of the strongest substances in this world, heavenly metal which means it is stronger than what your tacking device is made of."

I nodded in understanding.

"Come, let's go," Caliban said and he stretched out his hand again for me to take and I gladly did so.

He pulled me into his embrace and carried me bridal style.

He jumped out of the window with me in his arms and I could feel the wind around us as we were falling.

I was not afraid, it was the opposite. I laughed gleefully as we descended.

This is what I always dreamt of.

I could feel the cold night air against my skin.

When we reached the ground I could help but leap out of Caliban's arms and run around on the soft grass with my bare feet.

How long has it been since I last touched the grass? I had a huge smile on my face and I turned towards Caliban.

"It's amazing! Come, look at the stars with me?" I asked him, and to my surprise, he smiled genuinely which almost took my breath away.

Caliban took my hand and said, "Of course."

I have only known him for a couple of minutes, but I felt as if I knew him all of my life.