Dancing with your Ghost

Every night I'm dancing with your ghost...

I spun into strong and steady arms that pulled me close to him. The familiar spicy scent wrapped around me as we moved together as one over the floor. We fell in step, letting the rhythm control our movements. Green eyes met green, and the scenery and people around us dissolved as we lost ourselves to each other. Two years has passed since he first met me by running me over with his dog. The journey had been tedious and scary. Secrets and stalkers had shaken our relationship first, but we found our way. I stared at him. My first friend. My first love. And my love. I giggled as he rubbed his nose against mine. A youthful smile spread across his face as he spun me once again, my deep green dress gleaming in the light.   

I twirled to meet intense eyes as his arms gently pulled me to him. His hands held my hand and my waist underneath my blue graduation gown, and we moved to the new song, fluid like water. Years had passed since we first met but the passionate look in his eyes never changed. He was by my side, giving me the soft encouragement and sayings that I craved. He was beside me as we traversed our years through college. He gave me the courage to pursue what I want without being bound down by insecurities. He was my Prince that always seemed to pierce the darkness around me. The way he held me softly never changed either as we danced underneath fairy lights. As we twisted and spun to the music, we never looked away from each other, letting the music move us. The music began to wind down and he dipped me. 

I rose and faced my partner. Warm brown eyes looked down at me. An unrestrained look of pure happiness and love was on his face, and the others. He moved side to side, not minding my weight since my feet were on his. He suddenly laughed before pulling my hand to his lips, skimming my knuckles with his soft lips. The diamond on my finger glittered, making my throat clog with emotion. After years of being together, they had finally asked me to marry them. I smiled at my Superman who was so nervous that he dropped the ring right before my feet before they could say anything. They all had frozen until my Superman knelt in front of me, picked up the ring, and asked me the question that would threaten to make my heart burst in happiness. As we stopped, he whispered his love before letting me turn. 

Bright blue eyes looked at me in happiness as he led me around the floor to the upbeat song. I laughed, knowing that we were better. We had our first fight as a married couple, and we were happy that we were no longer angry at each other. My red head had decided to dance with me around our house. There was no fluidity or gracefulness but that didn't matter. It didn't matter that we were in jeans and t-shirts. It didn't matter that we were dancing to a k-pop song as long as we were in each other's arms.  His laughter rang in my ears as he lifted me into the air, spinning me until he slid my body down along his. 

My feet touched the floor, and my Meanie twirled me around, making me laugh. There was so much to do yet here we were, dancing with unopened boxes that lined the rooms. We had decided to move to another house when threats and slurs and unpleasant gifts appeared after our neighbors learned of our relationship. Some say we should have become angry at them, but we were still in love and too happy with each other to be angry at others. Our love had changed since we were 16. It had grown stronger and braver. So my husband and I did what we did best. We gave them their presents back and told them to fuck off. When we moved to our new house, I gave my husband his present, a stick with a plus sign. My Meanie was so excited that he immediately pulled me into a dance in our new house. I laughed as he gave me praise and love, shouting his words loud enough that our neighbors two miles away could probably hear. He spun us around, letting my hand go as I spun, laughing. 

A hand caught mine and pulled me to my husband. Chocolate brown eyes smiled at me as flour billowed in the air. Sweet brown substance covered his face and my arms as we continued with our food fight. It wasn't my fault that he spooked when our son sneaked up on him, making my ninja throw the cookie batter into the air. After tickling our son, he went after me who was laughing. We danced around the kitchen in our own sort of way, dodging the projectiles that we threw at each other. When he finally caught me, he pulled me into his arms and we swayed, looking at each other. Our son, feeling left out, came out from underneath the table and pulled on his dad's arm. My husband looked down at him before picking him up into his arms before pulling me back. As three, we swayed. Laying my forehead against our son's blonde hair, I closed my eyes, knowing that although we didn't talk, we loved each other. 

🎉 You've finished reading 𝙳𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝙶𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚝| ᵍʰᵒˢᵗᵇⁱʳᵈ ᵒⁿᵉ ˢʰᵒᵗ | 🎉