Wounds

A/N: Due to Donna's "departure", I decided to change a few things as you saw/'ll see. Thank you, Cassie, for beta-ing this story, all the encouragement and the amazing art you did to promote it.

~

She passed through the lobby of the building she used to call home, wearing a navy blue dress that highlighted her new physic. The building hadn't changed much, but the doorman wasn't the same. The people passing by weren't the same. She walked, head held high, and spotted him by the elevators with Louis. When did they become besties? At least Tom Ford was still a current thing, she thought. Approaching them both, she kept her gaze on him, lifting one eyebrow in question.

"I came by to see how you were," he answered the unspoken inquiry. She took a step closer, narrowing her eyes.

"Are you kidding me?" she asked in disbelief.

"No. I j-just wanted to make sure that you..." she cut him off very softly.

She knew that if she raised her voice, even a little bit, she wouldn't be able to stop screaming. She took another step closer, narrowing her gaze on him even more.

"You didn't come by to see how I am. You came by to see how you are. Because you know in your heart what you did and wanted to make sure you're okay," Harvey paused and looked at her, taken aback by what she said.

"I buried you. Consider that for one second," he pleaded, even knowing it was useless. She was hurt beyond repair.

"You did a pretty lousy job at burying me since I'm standing right here. And don't use rational thought as a defense with me. Not after everything. We're not in court, Harvey, you and I live and breathe madness every day on the job. There's no rational thought."

She shook her head. She couldn't believe him. She looked at him with pain and disgust. Something he had never seen in her eyes. She continued,

"I can't even pretend to have a conversation about anything else with you. " she gasped, but continued with a strained voice "What comes down to is faith!" His face showed no apparent emotion, yet, she could read him like a book. His lips were pursed, his eyebrows were furrowed. Pain, shock, and a bit of anger were reflected in his eyes."What I was hoping you would say is, 'Donna, I gave up. I lost faith'."

She was looking even more hurt and upset, and yet she wouldn't dare raise her voice."What you wanted ... was closure...and there is not a chance you are getting that from me! "

Harvey was still pensive, looking hurt and tense.

She was having a harder time keeping her emotions out of her voice now; her voice was strained, hoarse, and still low.

"I'm not gonna say I understand... I'm not gonna sympathize with you and tell you how hard it must be for YOU... but... You wanna know how I am!?" she laughed bitterly and no humor reached her eyes. "I am horrible, Harvey. I've been ripped apart," a strained whisper left her mouth," because...if it had been me... " the tears she was desperately trying to hold back clouded Donna's eyes and she gasped, "I would have waited... Like I waited for the last ten... Oh, sorry! Twelve years."

Louis just kept staring at the couple, mouth agape, unable to move.

Harvey blinked several times, swallowing painfully. Pain, regret, and loss echoed in his eyes. He was trying to hold back tears himself. Holding back the sobs in her voice now, Donna continued, "I would have found the truth...I wouldn't have given up on you! " betrayal lighted her face. She was bolstering with anger herself. A hardness gleamed in her eyes and through a harsh whisper, punctuated by shaky breath, she concluded walking away," and now I realize... what an absolute waste that would've been!"