Chapter 3

Sophie's P.O.V

It was a normal day for me and my friends when we decided to go to Everglen and play a few rounds of Base Quest. When we got there, we saw Alden holding a scroll in his hands, waiting for us when we walked inside.

"What is it dad?" Biana asked. "Is something wrong?"

"Something is very wrong," Alden said. "And I think you should read this to find out."

He handed it to me and my jaw fell open when I read it.

TOMORROW AT MIDDAY WE WILL HONOUR THE LIFE AND LEGACY OF COUNCILLOR EMERY

BY PLANTING HIS SEED IN THE WANDERLING WOODS

AN ADDRESS FROM THE COUNCIL WILL FOLLOW,

ALONG WITH INSTRUCTIONS FOR NOMINATION PROCEEDINGS.

I quickly handed it to Keefe who was standing beside me.

"Councillor Emery's dead!!!" Keefe shouted when he read it. "How?!?"

"The Council is refusing to tell anyone until the planting tomorrow," Alden said.

"Who would kill a Councillor?" I asked. "And why Emery?"

"No one knows who killed him and why they did it. But we're trying to figure it out."

"We?" Fitz ecoed.

"Some elves in the Nobility are trying to figure it out," Alden explained.

"Did they find anything?" Biana asked.

"A symbol of an eye was written on the wall with his blood."

"Does that mean that the Neverseen escaped?" Fitz asked.

"They did," he said, "but they escaped after Councillor Emery died."

"I feel like there's something you aren't telling us," Keefe said.

Alden stared at each of them before saying, "Most of them escaped."

"What do you mean most of them escaped?" I asked.

"Three members of the Neverseen were killed while the rest of them escaped," Alden said.

"Who died?" Biana asked.

"Lady Gisela, Vespera and Gethen."

"Who escaped?" Fitz asked.

"Fintan, Ruy, Trix and Alvar," Alden said.

"If I ever get my hands on him I'll-"

"Stop Fitz!" I shouted at him, cutting him off. "When will you ever let it go? When will you stop being angry at Alvar?"

"How can I not get angry at him?" Fitz asked me. "He's a murderer and my brother. He could have been one of your kidnappers. He's pure evil."

"But when will you stop?" Biana whispered.

"When he's dead," he replied.

"I know what will cheer you up," Keefe said. "How about that game of Base Quest we were going to play?"

"That's a good idea," Biana said. "Maybe it'll distract us from thinking about it."

Keefe gave Alden the scroll back and headed towards Everglen's grounds with the rest of us behind him. We played a few rounds of Base Quest before Della came out and asked us who was staying over for dinner. I declined saying that Grady and Edaline would want me back home. I took out my Pathfinder and leaped to Havenfield. When I got there I was met by my bodyguards, Grady and Edaline.