11 | Going To War

CHAPTER ELEVEN : GOING TO WAR

They all waited silently. 

After the message that Charles had sent, it had put them all on edge. The fact that Charles could now broadcast all over the globe without needing to use Cerebro was incredible but also terrifying. It meant that whoever took him was extremely powerful. 

And now they just waited. For Evie, this was the worst part. 

She knew that it was only a matter of time before the 'final battle' but she didn't know what was going to happen. With stress, Evie brushed a hand through her brown hair. Everyone could tell she was worried about her husband. They all were. 

Moira, who was stood next to her friend, was still coming to terms that Evie was a mutant. It was like she had missed so much. "So," The CIA agent spoke up. "You married Charles Xavier?"

"What?" Evie muttered in confusion. When it set in what Moira was asking, she smiled. "Oh yeah. God, it feels like ages ago." The brunette admitted as she laughed to herself. 

Moira watched as her expression brightened slightly. "Any kids?"

"Yeah, a daughter." Evie responded, pride clear in her voice. "Her name is Olivia, we used to call her our little hero for a while until she wasn't so little anymore."

"How old is she?" Moira asked. 

"Seventeen." Evie's smile dropped and she turned to look at her old partner. "Look Moira, I know you're trying to make conversation and I appreciate it but I can't talk to you. There is so much you don't remember and I don't have the heart to tell you."

Shock was etched onto Moira's face but it soon morphed into understanding. "Well, that's okay. How about I just stay here so she can rest your head?" The woman suggested, motioning to her shoulder.

Evie stared at her, furrowing her brows in confusion. "What?"

"You wrinkle your nose when you're trying to stop yourself from crying." Moira gave her a sad smile. 

To keep in the tears, Evie bit her lip. She took Moira's suggestion and placed her forehead on the woman's shoulder. It was reassuring knowing that even after all these years, she and Moira were still close. Time marched on, but their friendship didn't. 

There was a comfortable silence between the two, neither daring to say anything. Eventually, a quiet sob was heard from Evie. Moira instantly placed her hand on her head. 

"Do you think Charles knew that?" Evie whispered.

"I mean, I think he does." Moira admitted, looking up at the ceiling. "I saw the way he looked at you and for a second I thought he was a home-wrecker."

This caused Evie to chuckle, lifting her head so that she could wipe her tears. "God imagine it." The brunettes looked at each other smiled brightly. "Thank you Moira."