28 | the hope

Sunday passed without any developments. I called Archer and asked him to give me updates regularly, but there was no improvement in Mrs Woods' condition. Archer and his dad were getting increasingly worried and stressed.

Her surgery could only happen once she was a bit more stable. And the doctors hadn't been able to give the green signal till now.

On Monday, Archer came back to school. He looked worse for wear, dark circles under his eyes and in general, looking like he hadn't slept in months.

I tried to make things as easy for him in the study as possible. I offered to do all the work and asked him to go rest, but he just wouldn't listen. He stayed with me.

"Archer, I can do this for one or two days, you know? Now you need as much sleep as you can get. If you go back to your dorm and take a small nap it won't harm anyone."

He shook his head. "No. I'll do my work. And you've done enough for me anyway. Don't worry about me."

"How can I not? You're not sleeping properly, not eating properly, you look like shite, and you tell me not to worry?"

At that, he cracked a small, playful smile. "Looks like you care about me."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't flatter yourself. I care about your family as a whole. You're not anything special."

He gave me a flat look. "Of course. I believe you."

I looked away. "Now will you listen to me and go for a nap?"

"No, Vivian, I came back to school to make myself busy, so I can distract myself a bit from the shite going on in my life. Plus, I need to do this work, I can't ignore my responsibilities just like that."

I realised I'd say the same thing if I were in his position, so I couldn't really argue with that. I sighed and nodded, and we went back to working.

°

A few days went by like this. Archer visited the hospital every other day, taking special permission from the school, and every day he'd come back, shoulders deflated, face shrunken, no good news to share.

Then, the next Saturday, things started looking up.

Archer had taken the whole day off to be at the hospital. I couldn't go because I had a lot of leftover homework, and he told me not to come. He'd call if there was any news.

Somehow, in the midst of all this, Archer and I had got closer instead of being distant. Of course, I still hadn't forgiven him for what he'd done, but we both seemed to forget our past for a while and focus on the present. A present which needed both of us to work together and for me to stay by his side, as someone he could count on when he needed them the most.

I needed my distance, yes, but what came first, my distance, or an emergency where someone you were close to needed you? I realised, that however hard I tried, a part of me could never let go of the connection I shared with him. And I knew he felt the same way.

If something happened to me or my family today, he'd be one of the first to jump in and help.

Even if we weren't together anymore, even if we'd ended on nasty terms, we still couldn't sever all our ties, and now I guess both of us had realised that.

I was busy thinking about all this, when suddenly my phone started ringing.

I jumped and looked at the flashing screen. It was Archer.

I picked up immediately. "Archer? Is everything alright?"

"Vi! Mum is finally doing better! They're taking her off the coma now, and they're planning to operate on her tomorrow!"

My eyes widened. "Really? Oh my god, that's...that's...!"

"I know, I'm at a loss for words too! Right now we can only hope and pray. That's all. But mum will make it tomorrow, won't she?"

I nodded vigorously. "Of course she will. Don't worry, she'll come out of it just fine. And I'll come to the hospital tomorrow, okay? Just tell me when the surgery will happen."

He told me, and after giving me a few more details, we hung up. I slowly felt a small flicker of hope rising within me.

It'd be alright. Mrs Woods will be alright. There's still hope.

We would just have to wait for tomorrow.

a/n: what do you think will happen tomorrow? ahh i can't wait to write the next chapter! buckle up, guys! but not before dropping your votes and comments hehe