i. The Proclamation

ONE THE PROCLAMATION

    This must be a dream, Kleo told herself

    This must be a dream, Kleo told herself. This couldn't be real. There she sat on a royal blue blanket with gold trim spread out in the ruins of an ancient temple. A beautiful lake shimmers a couple feet away from her. There's a picnic laid out in front of Kleo, as luscious food sits upon plates just begging to be eaten. A lone chocolate cupcake sits on a single napkin.

     Kleo carefully examines the cupcake. She probes the bottom half, the cake soft, not hard. She sniffs the chocolate icing and quietly hums to herself at its sugary-sweet aroma. Kleo brings the cupcake to her lips and takes a big bite out of it. "Where am I?" she asked, through a mouthful of cupcake, as if speaking to someone.

     "What do you mean?" asked the boy sat in front of her. She hadn't even noticed him. But now that she has, she wishes she didn't. He was painfully handsome, with green eyes, fair skin, and honey-brown hair. He watches her almost adoringly. "You've been in Auradon for over a week now."

     Kleo nearly chokes on her cupcake, but manages to swallow. "Auradon?" She then sets the cupcake down back on the napkin and looks rather disgusted at what he just said. "Why would I be in Auradon?"

     "Don't you remember? It wasn't that long ago. You should know why you're here in Auradon." The boy looks at her confused. What was she talking about?

     Kleo frowns, looking down at all the food in front of her. She then scowls and fixates her gaze on the boy. "Who are you?" snarled Kleo, ignoring the boy's confused expression. She can feel the animal inside her stir, pacing back in forth to be set free.

     His face softens at her question, unfazed by her sudden hostility. The boy reaches for her face, slowly, giving her time to pull away, but she doesn't, and caresses her cheek. Her whole body relaxes into his touch as he said, "You know who I am." His lips turn up in a smile and Kleo can feel her heart flutter. She lets out an inaudible purr. What's happening?

     Kleo awoke with a start.

     The girl sits up in her lumpy bed and looks to see if her older sister is still asleep beside her. Kleo can hear the faint snores coming from Vitani, slightly shivering from their chilly room. Well, their chilly house. The Lion's Den―as the citizens of the Isle of the Lost called it―wasn't the warmest of places. Kleo notices that she's hogged all the raggedy blankets that they slept with. She takes the bunch and sprawl them on Vitani. Her shivering stops.