Questions-I

Naira's eyes felt sore from all the crying , she checked the time, 1:30  and yet sleep won't come easily today. Right now she cursed Kartik for having the free entrance pass to her thoughts, no matter the physical distance she creates between them, he still finds a way to penetrate her head like he owns it, and if truth be told he does!

She closed her eyes, holding Kairav close to herself and with some hope of slipping into the temporary unconsciousness where she won't have to hurt or be hurt by anyone, that was the only comfort these days !

It's exactly then that her phone buzzed. She was surprised, nobody calls this late unless there is some bad news. She'd think she was dreaming if only the buzzing of the phone in her hand wasn't that evident. It was him!

She looked at the time again, she was right the first time, it's past midnight. Why would he call her now? Did he start drinking again? Her thoughts went to the past when they were separated for 2 years, he'd found comfort in alcohol, can it be the same this time?

She crossed her fingers and answered the call.

"Come down, I'm waiting for you"

Definitely not drunk, she thought. She got a little angry at the fact that he was bossing over her. She hated that the most. But then what could she expect? Him being sweet and nice when she walked out of the house even after his countless denials! She was still silent, this felt too unreal to even react.

"Naira?"

This was a questioning tone, he wanted to know whether she was coming down or not. She could still guess what he meant by that one word . It was always the same with them. Whenever he was unable to express his feelings in words he would say her name, and in an instant she would know what he felt- love, confusion, anger or longing.

"It's too late, Kairav is sleeping and the most important part, you shouldn't be here right now, let alone coming here to meet me" She tried her best not to give away the longing she felt to simply go and hear what he wanted to talk about this late. The only person who would talk to her, others still preferred the silent treatment with her.

"I don't care about the time, I know Kairav doesn't wake up mid sleep, he gets that from me and I know you are aware of that too and I don't think you should worry about whether my actions can have a bad impact or no anymore. Listen please just  come down, I won't take much of your time!"

She weighed the pros and cones of going down and having a conversation with him when just a few minutes ago she was trying to find some comfort from his thoughts. But what made her finally agree was the temptation of having a conversation with him without anybody knowing about it . She hates him, but she loved him once, so a conversation won't hurt. She tried to bargain that maybe he has a solution to this complicated situation. Afterall whenever she was unable to find any solutions in her life back then, he used to emerge as her savior. 

Promising herself that she was only going down because he was stubborn and won't go without meeting her and not because she too was desperate to steal a moment for themselves where the world would be oblivious of this impromptu meeting of their's and no one to pass a judgment about. She tiptoed from her room, down the hall and atlast stood in front of him maintaining a one hand distance, because any further will allow her a very clear look of his orbs and that can be a risky thing to do.

The first thing that Kartik noticed was the distance she kept between them.
'So now she can't even stand  close to me, noted. 'He thought and nodded at her, as if acknowledging her presence. He kept looking at her for a few seconds . Taking in her midnight beauty. Her night gown was shoulder length, her hair open, just how he always preferred, it was weird to see her without any accessories, it was the same with all her day outfits . He missed those accessories. There was a time when he'd hold her close to him and play with those heavy earrings and rings and bangles she adored herself with. And then he wished for a life where he could go just five minutes without having to go in the past and long for that now.