Chapter 1

It was in June 192_ that I first became aware of the evil that was to blight my life and condemn me to my ultimate fate. I was working as a doctor in the Lewisham asylum. It had not been long since my graduation from the medical college, and this was my first post. I did not intend to remain long in my position; rather, my ambition was to gather sufficient funds to obtain a suburban practice that I could cultivate. My own funds had been exhausted by my extended studies, and so my professor had suggested that I apply for the post at the asylum. He gave me a letter of introduction to the asylum board, in which he extolled my qualifications. To my surprise, the board accepted my application and, within a month, I was installed in my new position.

The cases I dealt with were relatively mundane for a hospital of this character. My patients were those suffering from various manias. These, I was told, were easy to deal with and would provide a useful introduction to the more difficult cases. My patients were easily treated - if not by the "talking cure", then certainly by application of the hospital's extensive pharmacopeia. After a few months of dealing with these unfortunates, the registrar decided that I was sufficiently competent to take on some of the more troublesome cases.

My first such case was a Miss M_. She was a recent admission to the Lewisham asylum, committed due to an incident where she had attempted to end her life with an overdose of opiates. As she was my first serious case, I undertook an exhaustive study of her notes before meeting with her. According to the information I was provided with, Miss M_ was a young lady of good character. She had been born to parents of reasonable standing and who had seen fit to allow her to be educated in the arts. When Miss M_ had suffered her unfortunate affliction, she was living in a small flat in the village of Blackheath. Other doctors had attempted to engage with her, but she had refused to talk with them. It was felt that I, a younger man and closer to her age, would be more successful in attempting a cure.

Having familiarised myself with Miss M_'s details, I felt sufficiently confident to pay her a visit and begin a personal assessment of her case. Accordingly, I made an arrangement with the matron of the ward so that I could meet Miss M_ in person. A nurse escorted me to the young lady's room.

Miss M_ had been placed in a private room in the eastern wing of the hospital, as befitted her status in society. The room overlooked the hospital grounds; a line of trees marking the wall surrounding the hospital and preventing those beyond from seeing in, and vice versa. The room itself was plainly furnished, with a bed, a nightstand, a small cupboard and a single chair. Although patients were expected to spend time undergoing therapy or associating in the common areas, I found Miss M_ sat in her chair, a small leather-bound volume clutched in her hands. She paid no attention to my entrance, being more focussed on the view from her window.

I coughed, and introduced myself. "Miss M_? I am Dr W_. I would like to talk to you about ... ." I allowed my voice to trail off.

Miss M_ turned away from the window and smiled at me. It was obvious from her demeanour that she was merely following the polite conventions in paying attention to me. "Of course," she replied. "The matron told me you would be paying me a visit. I take it that you wish to discuss my history. Is there not sufficient known about me by now?"

I shook my head. "No. If anything, there is not enough. The other doctors informed me that you were rather reticent to discuss your case. I was hoping that you might find me more ... companionable?"

Miss M_ laughed without any humour. "You are just like the others - looking for reason in everything."

I inclined my head in mock defeat. "The curse of a scientific mind. I am sure that a woman of your liberal sensitivities sees things in a different light."

She fixed her eyes to mine, like twin lanterns illuminating my thoughts and exposing them to her. Then she blinked, and her eyes became blank once more. "Somehow I do not think that you will go away until you are satisfied. Very well."

She placed her book on the windowsill and indicated to me that I should sit. I did so, and listened attentively to her. I did not question her or prompt her in any way. Instead, I let her tell me what she was prepared to reveal.

My patience was rewarded. While what I learnt did no more than supplement the notes I already had, it proved that I had made an advance of some kind. I learned that Miss M_ had attained a degree in English Literature and had some ambition towards becoming a poet. To further this end, she had joined a society of like-minded people. I surmised that her involvement with this group had taken a considerable portion of her time. I therefore resolved to enquire about Miss M_ amongst her fellow poets.