1 ~ breathe.

"oh i can hardly breathe"

buck walked into the 118, exhausted from his night out.

"you look like hell." chimney commented, walking in behind him. "up to late with your girlfriend last night?"

buck rolled his eyes and chuckled, "dude. you do my sister. you have no room to talk to me about my sex life."

buck walked into the garage. he pulled off his dark green hoodie and pulled over his work t-shirt. he walked over to the weights and sat down.

"trying to get abs to impress your new girlfriend?" eddie shouted from behind him, with a bit of jealousy in his voice.

buck rolled his eyes and stood up. "she's not my girlfriend."

"right." eddie said annoyed.

"do you have a problem?" buck asked.

"i-" just as eddie started to talk, the bells rang. eddie turned around on his heel and ran to to truck. buck followed close behind him, pondering about what eddie was going to say.

when the team arrived at the fire, bobby assigned each of them to a different part of the motel that was currently engulfed in flames.
eddie took the north east side, and buck took the south east side. as the team prepared to go inside, buck caught eddie staring at him. "do you have something to say?" he asked, attempting to be tough.

"i don't know, don't die." eddie said with an attitude.

"what?"

"the fire looks bad, be careful. as much of an ass that you are, i actually like having you around. and so does christopher so try not to, you know, die."

buck nodded, bewildered by the kindness in whatever nonsense eddie was talking about. buck, eddie, and the rest of the team ran into the building.

☀︎☀︎☀︎

a little over a half hour later, the firefighters inside got a message over the radio. "the building is coming down, get out of there!" bobby yelled through the speaker.

panicked, buck, chimney, and hen started to make there way out of the building.

as the three of them gathered themselves together and walked over to bobby. the medics had just taken away the last of the victims that the team was able to retrieve from the fire. the other fire trucks had left and the engines were preparing to hose down the fire.

"where's eddie?" buck asked.

bobby looked around, his eyes growing wide. he looked back up at the building, then back at his team.

"diaz!" he shouted into the radio. "diaz! do you copy! get out!"

buck looked at the building as the roof started to cave in. "eddie!" he screamed. "eddie!"

"i'm going to get him." bobby said.

"no, cap. you could get hurt too. what would we tell athena? i'm going." hen commanded.

"you have a wife and a son. i'm going."

suddenly, a loud noise made the teams heads jolt to towards the building. more of the building came down.

bobby stepped back, "hose down!" he screamed at the engines.

"what? are you crazy! you'll kill eddie. you'll boil him alive! you can't hose it, not yet!" buck protested.

"buck, buck." bobby interrupted, trying to calm him down. "at this point, if eddie is still in there, it'll be a recovery. not a rescue. we can't risk sending more fighter fighters in to save someone who can't be saved. i'm sorry."

tears formed at bucks eyes. he tried to run towards the building, but was held back by bobby and chimneys grip. "let me go! let me help eddie! please!" buck cried.

when the team wouldn't give in, buck stopped trying to force himself out of their arms. he stared at the building, and placed his hands on his head. tears streamed down his face, and his breathing intensified.

"wait!" hen shouted, looking into the distance.

and there he stood. eddie came, walking slowly toward the team. his face was covered in smoke, but he looked strong as ever.

buck turned around, facing his best friend who walked towards them. he opened his mouth, but no sound came out. he wiped the tears from his face and followed his team to eddie.

"my entrance was blocked, i had to come out the back but i fell and smashed my radio. i got out just before the building caved." eddie explained.

"let's get you to the emts" bobby said.

"bobby, i'm fine." eddie reassured him.

bobby looked from eddie, to buck, then back to eddie. "let's give them some alone time." he whispered to hem and chimney.

when he was alone with eddie, buck let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. "eddie i thought you were.."

"shh" eddie interrupted him. "i'm fine."

buck put a hand on eddies shoulder. "thanks for not dying."

"of course. i cant die yet. i mean, i cant leave christopher with you. you'd just make him obsessed with food and weight lifting."

"that's funny." buck said sarcastically.

the two walked back to the truck, eddie putting a hand on bucks back.

when they returned to the truck, everyone bombarded eddie asking him if he needed to get checked. although he said no, they forced him to anyways. reluctantly, he went to hospital to get checked on.

☀︎☀︎☀︎