Chapter 1

Katie's P.O.V - March 3rd . 1997

"What do you mean 'We're out of options'?! We started this shit, we can do what we like!" I heard him yelling at my boss.
I sighed, sitting at my desk, with nothing to do. I was way ahead of my work, as I did a whole month of late nights, last month.
'He' is my boss' colleague, Nigel John Taylor. He is tall, with brown hair, and a dyed blond fringe. He's from Birmingham, having such a silky smooth voice, with the accent. He is the definition of perfect. He's fucking beautiful, and I've been in love with him from day one. That was ten years ago... He has no idea I exist.

Taylor & Hadley Co. is where I work. A multi business company, dealing with all sorts of shit, like charity events, car dealerships, foods, beauty, sports, music... You name it.
I'm just an assistant. I work for Tony Hadley himself, one of two main men!
I worked my ass off to get this job, so a office-space-fling, with my boss' partner is out of the question, but like I said... He doesn't know I exist. Plus... He's around eight years older than me, I think? Or maybe six...

I put my feet up on my desk and pouted my lips, placing my pen under my nose, holding it for as long as I can.
I got lucky, working with Tony. He's very relaxed about things, as long as everything gets done and sorted on time, so my work uniform was just a white dress shirt, with a black waist coat, black skinny jeans, and my usual odd coloured converse, not that anyone payed attention to my shoes.

"No!" The most beautiful man on the planet yelled, opening the office door. "We need something that will help all of us!" He walked out, so I put my feet back down and dropped the pen.
My desk was to the right of the office, when walking in. Tony's office had large frosted doors, with his name on them, at the end of the corridor we were on.

I watched as Mr Taylor walked passed, paying me no mind, with a couple of people following him, like ducklings.
"Like what exactly?" Tony asked him, standing at his door.
"I don't know! We'll find something." Nigel turned back to look at him, as one of his colleagues called for the lift.
"Good luck with that." Tony smiled at him, then closed his door.
"Thank you." Nigel mocked him. "What?!" He barked at another of his colleagues.

I wonder what all that was about...

They piled into the lift, Mr Taylor standing at the front, and the doors closed.
"File this." Tony walked out his office, handing me some papers, before walking down the corridor.
"Sir, yes, sir!" I whispered, as he never waited for a response.
My phone started to ring, so I answered it, as I looked over the papers.
"Taylor & Hadley Co. Katie speaking. How can-"
"Cut the crap, mate. It's me!" My best friend, Martin Kemp, replied.
"Thank God... How are ya?" I asked him, losing my phone voice.
"Not too bad. You coming to the pub, tonight?" He asked me.
"Yes." I didn't need to think about it. We didn't care that it was a work night.
"How's work going?" Martin asked, the sounds of a coffee machine in the background.

Martin is like a brother to me. We went to the same boarding school. He works with his older brother, Gary, at The House Museum Of Art. It was really cool, as my dad was an artist, and all his original work was there.
Anyway, Martin is married to my old roommate, Melanie Grace. It's no mystery how they met. Martin was helping me move in, and she was home at the time. They've been married for five years now, and I was so jealous.

My last boyfriend was a jerk, and I've been single for the passed ten years. I keep dreaming of the day Nigel John Taylor notices me...

"Katie? You there?" Martin asked.
"Huh?" I woke up.
"I asked how work's going? You're not still dreaming of your boss' mate, are you?" He chuckled.
"You don't get it, mate..." I sighed. "The only guy who I can really see myself with, doesn't know I exist... His last girlfriend was a movie star actress, and the one before her was on the cover of Vogue, and he also had a brief stint with-"
"He's not worth your time!" Martin cut me off. "Listen, forget him... Look at it this way, if you two hook up, he'll give your boss a hard time, so he can see you more, or you do less work, or your boss will give you a hard time, so Mr Taylor will always be happy, OR if you hook up, then break up, you'll be left to clean up the mess, and they'll give you twice more work to do!" Martin ran it out.
"Jesus, mate... Let me dream!" I gave a light hearted laugh. He was right though...
"There's a job going, over at Mel's place. You'll love it, Kate. Consider it. You can't stay there for much longer. It's been ten years... He's never going to notice you, and you'll always be lost in this fantasy." Martin was always so honest with me. "There's a whole world happening, as we speak."
"You're right... Meet you at pub?" I asked him.
"Bring it on!" Martin cheered.

. . .

"SHOT!" The table yelled, as Gary lost again.
We were playing a game called 'Cheat' (A.K.A Bullshit). It is a game of deception, with cards being played face-down and players being permitted to lie about the cards they have played. A challenge is usually made by players calling out the name of the game, and the loser of a challenge has to pick up every card played so far, also you have to take a shot of Vodka with it, which is a rule we made up. The game ends when any player runs out of cards, at which point they win.

We laughed, sat in the corner of the pub, at our usual long table. There was Martin, Mel, Gary, myself, with our friends, Andy Taylor, his fiancé Belle Claudette, Simon Le Bon, his girlfriend Gena Kemp (Gary and Martin's cousin), and Nick Rhodes, with his wife Paige.
The whole gang were here, and I was free to be myself.
I placed my red bowler hat on Gary's head, as he was sat on my right. The drinks were flowing and our spirits were high!
He laughed and pet my shoulder, as the next round begun.