Parliamentary Sectrary

Philip stood in silence as his graceful green eyes scanned the neatly written black ink scratched across the letter sent from Thomas Cromwell. Although he had read every sentence twice already, Philip could not believe what he was truly gazing upon. It was not bad nor ill towards his very daughter, but more of acceptance. The best of news Philip had ever experienced in his lifetime.

With his mouth hung open, Philip lowered the fine parchment and gripped the edges as if his life depended on it. His falling stare fell onto Elizabeth who simply held her hands behind her back. The widest grin upon her pale face.

"You are to be knighted," Philip pushed the words out of his mouth as if they were difficult. Stuck in his throat. "You are to be knighted by the King -" Philip repeats once more with additional information.

Annie's brow began to rise towards her hairline and her mouth also dropped.

"My little girl," Philip dropped the letter and scooped Elizabeth up into a tight embrace. What she had been wanting more than anything, more than life itself is happening. All his worries about her growing old and perhaps never holding the pleasure of experiencing prosperity fly away. Those around him whispering, was getting into his head as of lately.

Causing doubts about what is best for his daughter's future. For he saw what court life or what the real world can be like for a woman like Elizabeth.

But Philip now knew as he placed Elizabeth down to get a good look at her smiling face, that she is indeed destined for greatness.

"Oh, Lady Beth," Annie cried out, raising her skirts to rush over to her mistress and friend. She gently took Elizabeth's hands into her own, smiling a toothy grin. "I'm so proud of you. We must go to get a new dress tailored. Something beautiful for when you start working for the King."

Elizabeth liked the idea, however, disliked the notion of wearing a common dress whilst serving underneath the King. If she wanted to show the world that a woman could do as a man does, Elizabeth needed to think outside the box.

***

King Henry stood before Elizabeth in the small throne room as she fell to one knee. It had been two days after Elizabeth grew acknowledgement that she will be knighted as a Parliamentary Secretary. She and those who knew kept this information hushed until the moment drew closer. Thomas Boylen stood beside Charles Brandon and Philip Valentine with a mischievous smile. Wolsey and Howard, however, stood with stone-cold glances.

Wolsey knew exactly what was going to happen. He of course had to send this information to Parliament and sign the right documents to approve this distasteful choice. And to his surprise, everyone dared not to disagree with the King's choice.

Thomas Howard, however, was kept in the shadows. Shocked by the sudden change just an hour before. His frigid glare snapped towards Thomas Cromwell who stood just to the left of the King. His hands behind his back and a soft expression as his blue eyes kept on Elizabeth.

The lady in question walked into the Throne Room with her head high. Her white hair braided down her back, allowing her face to be shown. The outfit she chose to wear matched much of a man's uniform. The fabric made out of black silk, covering her chest, shoulders, and stopped just in the middle of her neck. Instead of the latest fashion skirt, the bottom half of her carefully styled uniform has been made so the loose black straight skirt would be cut above her shins and tight-fitting trousers underneath.

The uniform scandalous, even the king was taken aback by what she wore. Any other woman who suggested wearing something so outlandish would be questioned. Nonetheless, Henry liked her bravery and lack of care for what others thought.