Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Adrian

We pass through New York's high rise buildings and busy roads to reach the suburban areas which had fresh green pastures and tall trees. A midst of nature we come across beautiful medium sized cottages. After driving further a few of such chalets Christina asks me to stop in front of a brick structure.

It was  cottage typically a small house that could carry the connotation of  an old-fashioned construction at the same time a modest and cosy dwelling abode. The croft was surrounded by green pastures, different colours and varieties of flowers. On the behind was a beautiful lake locused.

After spending almost three decades in the city of busy speed up, whoosh and whizz I felt the cabin as a welcome to paradise in the billets of nature. An obscure feeling of heavenliness inhabited its way in my heart. I park my Buggati at a distance, take Chistina's hand and walk to the cabana.

The door was opened by a red haired woman in her late forties who had the same chocolate browns like Christina.
Christina shares something to the lady in a sign language and the woman's eyes twinkled in glee as though she had known me for ages. "Please come inside and take a seat." She directs me to a small sitting room that felt cozy and comfortable. "I am Adrian James Martin." I introduce myself to her. "Christina's friend."

"We know, our daughter had so much to say about you." She gushed enthusiastic. "I am Jade Casablanca, Christina's mother and he is my husband, Christina's dad Caleb." A blond haired man with thick rimmed glasses comes forward and holds out his hand. "It is nice to meet you." Now I know from where Christina got her beautiful blonde hair.

There were some hand signals that went between Christina and her mother. Though I couldn't understand much about reading their hand gestures, I could decipher Christina was speaking about to me. Instaneously I decide - I am soon going to learn the sign language and be proficient in it very soon. There is no way I could fail myself in reading my girlfriend.

"Christina says you are a very generous and caring person. One of your employees Tina, from purchases department is her friend." Jade enthused. "I'm just a normal man who takes care of his employees and pay them good when they work hard." I speak balanced and pragmatic accepting the steaming cup of coffee from her tray.  

Christina lost her speech and hearing due to a tragic accident which happened ten years ago when she was only twelve. Since then Caleb and Jade had tried several remedies but with no effectual result. She thus lives under the protection and care of her parents along with her younger sister Jasmine.

Jasmine is sixteen years old bold and brazen, fun loving girl doing her final year in school. She is the complete opposite in nature of her sister Christina. "Hi Adrian" she cheers and sits beside me. "I heard you are a business magnate and a big shot. I love designing dresses and want to do my graduation in fashion technology. Do you think you could help me with an employment in your concern."

Christina quickly comes, sits beside Jasmine with a scowl and directs her to her room pointing to the door with her hand. I chuckle at the sisters. "Sure, study well and I will help you with the best job." I assure Jasmine and pick the coffee cup to my lips that Jade gave me a while ago.

Caleb Casablanca and his wife Jade were exceptionally convivial people basically of Spanish origin but born and brought up in Hudson. They fell in love and got married at a young age, blessed with two daughters. Caleb is a professor in a local college and Jade is a professional dancer. Art is digested in Casablanca's blood since their birth. Probably that's how Christina is extremely talented in painting though she is too innocent to take the credit.

"So tell me about your business Mr  Martin." Caleb asks while sharing a drink with me in the evening. "Please call me Adrian." I say politely and tell him about our businesses, Sunrise industries future projects. With the look on his face I believe he was awed by my description.  I planned to drop Christina and reach back to my office in relating to the seminar my staff was supposed to organize but stayed at Casablanca's house till dinner as they were too warm and loving to reject their reception.

By the evening the dining table was decorated with scented candles and mouth watering Spanish dishes which I couldn't taste in the best of the restaurants.

The dinner started with Gazpacho - a tomato based Andalusian soup served during very cold times. As the temperature in New York is freezing right now I relished the soup much. Followed by the soup were starters Patata Bravas (potatoes cubed and shallow fried) And in the main course were Tortillas, Albondigas, Migas and Jamon. "You haven't had a second serving. Don't you like the preparations, Adrian?"

"The food is very tasty." I complement Jade. She smiles and refills my plate with the affection a mother holds to her child.  The dinner culminated with Spanish sweet dish Leche Frita and home made Churos. By the time I finished the dinner my stomach was  about to burst. Because I loved the Churos, Jade had packed some more for me to snack at home.

I felt relaxed with the Casablancas and never thought I would have such a warm welcome at my first meet itself. I felt like I was already a part of the family. I wish they were known to me earlier but no regrets. It was now not only for Christina but her family too that I want to make mine.

Christina came out to wish me goodnight and the family left us with the privacy I desiderated. The portico was dimly lit with just a forty watt bulb at the center. I walked towards my car taking the hand of Christina and looked around making sure we were encapsulated in the darkness. 

I ran my hands tenderly from her shoulder to forearms and looked into her eyes in a yearning concupiscence. She rubs her forearms with the palms of her hand. "Feeling cold?" My voice was a rugged whisper as I dip my head slightly to read her eyes. I remove my jacket and lay it on her shoulders. Circling my hands around her I pull her to my chest. Her lips slightly part at the sudden contact and I place a kiss on her forehead. "You okay?" My voice goes more hoarsely.

She nods dipping her head down in shyness. I pull the sides of the jacket closer, zipping it up. "Drink ginger tea before going to bed. It will keep you warm during the night." I wipe the sauce on her cheek  with the pad of my thumb that she caught while eating churos a few minutes back. "Good night, now go inside the house. It is too cold here. I will see you soon."

I turn back and open the door of the car. She continues to wait, taps on my shoulder and holds up her phone. "Yes I will message you when I reach home." I tell her with a smile but this time I couldn't hold back. I pull her face to mine and peck her lips. "Now go inside my love. Otherwise you will freeze here." I request her and wait till she reaches her entrance. After making sure she was inside the house I start the car.

Dear Readers,

Do you like the chapter?
Tell me how far have I been successful in narrating a deaf and dumb character?
If you are given a scale of 1-10 what would be my number in narration of this story?
Do write to me.
Happy reading.

  You can read the remaining part of this novel from Booknet.