Persephone

Melinoë

I despised the tedious nature of councils and meetings. Usually I was in charge, or then it was me or a few others. Not a whole group of people. Democracy was fine, I just didn't believe there should be too many elected men or women. It got messy real fast.

I was called to Olympus because I'd been on Earth when the ordeal happened.

Zeus was clearly in his element, talking while pacing and pointing out random facts. And then looking at me to check he was telling the right thing.

I nodded on occasion otherwise I just stared at him. He knew I didn't want to do this, but apparently his time was worth more than mine, so he didn't care.

Demeter sat across the table from me, fuming with anger. I didn't care for her. She wanted me to be someone I wasn't. Macaria was more like what she envisioned, though since she started dating Matthew that had changed a bit.

I sighed and put my chin in my hands.

Zeus told the room to vote.

I raised my hand.

"Melinoë?" He asked.

"What is it we're voting for? You sort of lost me." Yeah, and every one of the Gods always saw me as the female version of Hades: the villain in this story.

Zeus sat down. "We're voting for, whether Persephone should be allowed back to the Underworld. Yes, there will be some limitations."

"I'm not allowed to vote, am I?" I asked.

"Would you grant her access to Erebos?"

"No," I said. "She broke my trust, she needs to rebuild that first."

Demeter stared at me. I could almost see the smoke rising from her.

I leaned back in my chair, arms loosely crossed. Hades was too involved, though I, apparently, was perfect for the job. Demeter had tried to understand that logic.

I wasn't sure, but my outlook on life, colored by me living in Erebos, obviously had everyone else thinking I knew how to not mix love into anything.

I might be a bit indifferent to many things, but I understood love. And what it could drive people to do.

Gods were no better, they just thought they were.

The votes came back and Zeus counted them.

"Okay, by one vote, Persephone is allowed back to the Underworld. She is not to use reincarnation, she cannot enter Erebos, and she is only welcome for as long as Hades, Macaria, Zagreus and Melinoë see fit. If she bothers anyone, human or God alike, she will return to Olympus and stay for a while before being able to go back."

Demeter stood. Careful, every movement was measured. "I find that highly unfair. It has been her home too."

I looked at Demeter. "I'm sorry, do you know her?" I asked. "She loathes being stuck in the Underworld." But apparently, anything was better than staying glued to Demeter's side all day. She could be a bit... I don't know, much?

Demeter left the room, and Persephone entered.

She did look like she normally did – when she wasn't infuriated with Hades for one reason or another. Calm, her face serene, now a bit nervous. Her dress was light green, her absolute favorite color. I didn't look like her in any way. It bothered her, I knew as much.