WISHES

Contest Profile: AmbassadorsUK

As I walked back from the door, having served a bunch of trick-or-treaters, I heard the jingle play on the TV. From the couch, Tracy called out for me.

"Hey? Have you seen this ad before?" she asked.

I had. "I think it only plays on Halloween."

I placed the bowl on the coffee table and collapsed back on the couch, getting under the covers with her. She fit perfectly against me, like a puzzle piece.

"Can I tell you a secret?" she whispered, nuzzling my neck, and giving me a kiss.

I answered with a hum, my eyes closed in content. I could stay in this moment, holding her like this forever. I really liked her.

"At exactly this time last year, I texted the number in the ad," she said. "I wished that you were... that we could fall in love."

She giggled.

"I guess it's working," I said, keeping my voice light, even though my heart was suddenly pounding. I gave her a soft kiss on the lips, before draining my cider. I got up from the couch. "I think I need a refill. Can I get you anything?"

"No, I'm good," she said, stretching out her gorgeous, lithe limbs. "The movie is about to start. Don't stay long."

"I won't."

In the kitchen, I dropped to the floor, hugging my knees to my chest, trying to keep myself from losing it. That stupid ad's jingle kept playing in my head.

If you don't have a wishing well/ just text your wish right to my cell/ make sure it's what you really want/ cause your one wish I sure will grant

I could have wished for all the money in the world, but it would have meant nothing. She'd been about to make me lose everything. Everyone. Myself. All that made me who I was. I was so upset. Vengeful. Indignant. Feelings that pushed me to make my wish. Why? Why had I done that? After all that, I'd lost everything anyway. Not because of her either. In the end, it was all my doing.

I sighed. I couldn't take it back.

I finally composed myself enough to walk back to the living room. It was just a stupid ad.

"Oh, hey," she said. "I thought you said your family was out. Your sister just came down to say hi. She's so cool."

I froze. I was an only child, and my parents were at a party with friends, preferring to stay away from me, as usual.

"Trace," I said, barely above a whisper. "I don't have any siblings. You know that."

She turned to me, confused. "What?"

"We're alone."

"No, we're..." she looked at me, fear etched into her features. "What was that?"

"What was what?"

"You didn't hear that? That scream? How did you not hear that?"

My blood ran cold. My heart beating painfully in my chest.

... make sure it's what you really want...

"No!" I whispered.

Exactly a year ago, Trace had come out of the closet and I was afraid she'd out me. I'd wished her dead.

"DO YOU NOT HEAR THAT?!" she yelled, her hands against her ears, blood seeping through her fingers.

... your one wish I sure will grant...

I grabbed my phone.

"Hello, Halloween Wish Granting Service," said the cheery voice on the other side. "How may I help?"

I gave her my name and then said, "I want to take back my wish! Please!"

"Unfortunately, as the terms and conditions... I'm sorry, what did you say your name was?"

I said it again.

"Oh! It looks like you might just be in luck!" she said.

"Hurry! Please!" I said, watching Tracy fall off the sofa, pleading for whatever she was hearing to stop.

"Well, it says here that you and a customer named Tracy made a wish about each other at the same exact time, which has never happened before," said the lady. "After a lengthy discussion, a coin toss decided who's wish would come true. Am I to understand that you are calling with a request to reverse the decision?"

"Yes! Please! Yes!"

"May I take this as verbal confirmation..."

"Whatever you need? The answer is 'Yes'!" I yelled. "Just make it stop! She's dying!"

"As you wish," she replied cheerily.

Suddenly, Tracy stopped moaning and pleading. She lay on her back, looking blankly at the ceiling. I raced to her side.

"Are you okay?"

She groaned and gave a small nod.

"I'm so sorry. This is all my fault..."

I was in the process of explaining when I heard footsteps coming down the staircase. I turned to find a woman I'd never seen before walking towards us.

"Who are you?" I asked, warily.

"I've got lots of names, but I like 'the wailing banshee' best," she said. "I'm usually pretty good at what I do. Rarely wrong. I just had to come and see this for myself. My first error in a long time."

I knew about the legend of the wailing banshee. She was like a female grim reaper. Those who heard her screams were on the road to death. But not Tracy. Not anymore.

In my bravest voice, I said, "I saved her."

"Indeed," she said, chuckling. "You humans will never cease to amaze me."

"It's called love!" I replied, my chest almost bursting with emotion. Tracy moaned and stirred beneath me. I couldn't believe she was alive. I couldn't believe my phone call had worked!

"It doesn't matter what it's called," said the woman. "You'll be dead soon."

"What?" I scoffed. "No, I won't! We both made a wish about each other at the same exact time. I chose for her wish to come true, not mine. That's it. It's over."

The woman looked at me, dead serious.

"At the same exact moment in time, a year to the date, you and Tracy wished each other dead," she said. "But only one of you can have your wish come true."