Chapter 1-The New Guy

Amelia's P.O.V

I was fifteen when my sister died. The doctors said they had never seen anything like it. She just stopped. Stopped breathing, stop beating, stop living. They found her in an alley on the south side of town. She had bruises on her neck but other than that, not a scratch. That was almost two years ago. In a fortnight we will travel to her grave and pretend like we want to grieve for her loss. She wouldn’t want us to be spilling pathetic tears. She would want to be avenged.

My name is Amelia Johnson. And this is the story of my sister’s loss,

And my gain.

<>  <>  <>  <>  <>  <>  <>  <>  <>  <>

“Crap!”  I said, jamming the pile of books into my locker.

“Need a hand shorty?” I look up to see Stacey hovering over me, a smirk spread across her face.

“Pleeasse?” I say, giving her my most winning smile and fluttering my eyes sarcastically. Her face spreads into a smile and together we manage to fit the books into my locker.

“So wanna meet up after school? Ryan Divinski will be there!”  Her grin widens as his name leaves her lips.

“What makes you think I give a damn that he’s there?” I respond leaning heavily against my locker.

She sighs and tilts her head. Her deep blue eyes scan the busy corridor. My eyes lift up to look at her. She has dark ebony hair that nearly reaches her waist. It flows down in silky waves and always falls perfectly. Freckles are splattered across her nose, giving her a look full of innocence. But I knew underneath that she was tough. Real tough.

“Everybody gives a damn Amy-and you know it. Besides, you haven’t been with a guy for almost a year now.”

“Stacey you know exactly why I don’t have a boyfriend anymore.”

“Yeah I do. And I also know that not all guys are like Lucas. Just come tonight. Pleeeeaaasse?” She says giving me her puppy dog eyes and pouting her lip.

I let out a deep breath. “Where?”

She lets out a gleeful squeak “The Jackie’s pizza of course! Where else?”

The bell chimes and the corridor turns into a raging river of people. Stacey is whisked away with it. As she is forced in the opposite direction I hear her call “6 ‘o’ clock. Be there!”

I sigh and turn in the other direction. Physical education, exactly what I needed to let off some steam.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> 

As I shove back my thick blonde hair into a pony tail, I glance over at the group of girls giggling and whispering. They wore skimpy outfits that clung tightly to their skin. I groaned and cursed to myself as one of them caught my eye. Rebecca Murray.

“Hey Amelia! How are you dealing with your sister? Still hiding your feelings?” Her smug grin spreads as she continues, “You can’t bury them away forever you know?”

I whip my head around. She readies herself. Instead I throw on the biggest smile I can manage.

“Hey Rebecca! How’s your boyfriend? Jake right? Or is it Douglas? Wait. Never mind. I just remembered its Lucas.” The smile stays plastered on my face as I feel the heat from her angry glare wash over my body. My fake grin soon turns into a real one.

“You’ll pay for that Amy.” I stand up and snort.

As I leave I say, “Why should I? Your Dad is the one with all the money.” Her mouth drops and I wink at her before letting the door slam shut.