xiii. GLASS HEARTS

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

THIRTEEN
GLASS HEARTS

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

          Lightning struck off in the distance, illuminating the sky with a bright white light tinged with blue and purple.

          Almost instantly after the strike disappeared from the view of her eyes, Carson Bradley started counting.

          "One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi," she muttered lowly under the slap of rain on the ground. "Four Mississippi, five Miss — "

          She was barely through the second half of the state's name when thunder rolled in, the boom echoing off nearly everything in sight. Carson smiled softly to herself, pushing the hair out of her face. Counting the beats between lightning and thunder had been something she had done ever since she was a little girl. It was a sort of game she played with her mother as a child, something that always helped keep her mind off the storms that came rolling through Beacon Hills.

          But now she was older, her mother gone, and the storms that Carson dealt with were no one's of the weather but instead ones of danger and creatures that used to belong in the world of movies and books.

          Yet, still, she counted.

          Beside her, Isaac Lahey was not as amused by the storm, instead wearing a giant frown as he muttered, "I can't believe Derek threw us out," for what was the thousandth time.

          The pair had been walking for over half an hour at that point, seeing as Derek and Carson lived at almost opposite ends of Beacon Hills. Normally, the walk wouldn't have been that bad, considering both teens were supernatural creatures with excellent stamina. But they had just been kicked out by a man who claimed to be their alpha, their leader. All while it was pouring out.

          The two had already been soaked thoroughly from their walk to Derek's loft but now they were doing double time. The red-eyed wolf hadn't seemed to care what happened to the two once they crossed the threshold of the apartment door, rather having them brace the elements for what was most likely a two mile walk rather than wait or give them time to call someone.

          Not like they actually had someone to call. Scott owned a motorbike which could seat two at the most. Stiles had the jeep, but Carson didn't know if calling her ex-boyfriend for a lift was the best idea. Isaac didn't question her decision to walk, much too caught up in the fact that Derek Hale just evicted him without so much as a how do you do?

          "It just doesn't make sense."

          Carson shrugged from beside him, wiping the rain from her eyelashes for what was probably the seventh time in the past four minutes. "I didn't see him keeping me around for much longer; he's hated me since we met. Granted, it was a mutual feeling, but I'm surprised he even took me in in the first place."