𝐢𝐢. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗶𝗰𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘀

GLORY AND GORE: PART ONE
CHAPTER TWO
— the victors.

THE MORNING COMES FASTER THAN I WOULD HAVE LIKED. The sun peaks through the sheer curtains of my bedroom, shining in my eyes as they slowly flick open. The sounds of seagulls scouring the shore can be heard, their squawks bouncing off the thick walls of my bedroom. I groan, flopping over to lay on my stomach as I've been yanked from the firm grasp of sleep. I tuck my duvet underneath my chin, basking in it's warmth and allowing my eyes to settle on the sight of the rippling sea that glimmers outside my window.

It's a beautiful morning, and I can expect it will turn into a beautiful day. It's a shame that such horrible events must fall on such a day, and I shut my eyes tightly as the sound of soft knocking comes from behind my bedroom door. I don't respond, but I shift so I'm able to see who's responsible for the knocking. The door opens quietly, and my mother pokes her head through the crack, her crystal blue eyes falling to where I lie buried within the sheets of my large bed. Her gaze is gentle, cautious as she opens the door fully and makes her way to sit at the edge of my bed. 

There are no words said between us, and for a while my mother simply stares down at me, stroking my hair back with a calming smile. I feel selfish as I peer back up at her, shrinking into my covers like a scared little girl. I'm asked to do so little, and yet, I hold a strong indifference towards these Games that have given me a life that most could only dream of. All I have to do is watch the announcement. Put on a happy face for the crowds. Attend the Reaping. Welcome my tributes and make them look presentable. Make them likable. Give them advice on how to survive. Smile when they succeed. Turn a cheek when they die.

It's a simple game, the one that the Capitol and I play. I do as they say, and in return, I'm given all the riches and resources I'll ever need in order to protect and provide for my family. I am not strong. I am not a leader. I listen to those in power and follow their orders with no questions asked. I am not their equal. I am their slave.

"The broadcast will be on in an hour," My mother speaks. I nod and sit up in my bed, fully facing her. Her hand retracts from where it had laid on my pale cheek, and she moves to unclasp the necklace that hangs around her neck. The chain is thin, and gold in color. From it hangs a small charm that has been shaped into that of a single dove. It's wings are lifted, as if it were in flight as it rests against her collarbone. In it's mouth, it carries a simple olive branch.