Ex: Link to Home.

Chapter Eleven: Link to Home.
Series: Three.
Episode: Extras: Post - The Lazarus Experiment.

Martha's first night aboard the TARDIS as an official passenger was beyond ordinary and not fitting with the fast-paced life of the last few days, to say the least. First stop had been the medbay to sort out Martha's ankle and Rose's arm. A quick scan of both had revealed that Martha had a sprained ankle and Rose a broken bone. The dermal regenerator made quick work of the damaged tissue in Martha's ankle and with pain medication given, she was off to bed, exhausted from the day's events.

Rose jumped up awkwardly next, her broken arm making the action difficult and cumbersome. The Doctor administered the pain relief first - a device that looked like a cross between a pen and a syringe, but instead of a needle at the end there was a light - and with a similar device something to speed up the healing process.

Rose thought he might have said something about it being from a human colony in the 67th century but she couldn't be sure. Though the buzzing in her head had subsided once Lazarus had died and then disappeared altogether once they'd entered the vortex, she was still finding it difficult to focus. It'd been a long day.

The Doctor pulled out the familiar supplies for a cast and immediately got to work. Rose noted the tenseness in his posture and knew he was blaming himself for her clumsiness. She bit her lip indecisively. She wanted to tell him, he deserved to know and the guilt was eating at her. It wasn't his fault it was hers.

Just as she opened her mouth to tell him, he spoke. Eyes not leaving her arm, there was a level of concentration there that wasn't necessary for something he'd done so many times before.

"This is becoming a bit of a habit." He said, aiming for teasing but the tense hold of his shoulders belied his worry.

"Shouldn't have worn the heels. That was just asking for trouble."

There was a small quirk of his lips before the frown returned.

"Can't seem to avoid that lately."

Rose shrugged. "It's a good distraction."

The Doctor finally met her eye, and there was the regret and guilt she'd known would be there. Rose dropped her own gaze to the floor. The Doctor's hands were still on her arm, cast now finished but he'd yet to move.

"I forget sometimes that we can't just pop home for a visit." She stared at her shoes from where she'd dropped them on the floor, for a moment before lifting her gaze again. "I don't regret my decision. I want to be here, I love this life. And I know she's happier there than she ever was here. Just seeing Martha with her family just reminded me is all."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't. Don't be. I wouldn't change the way things happened. Like I said once, everyone leaves home in the end."

"But home isn't usually a universe away though."

Rose laughed, she couldn't help it. She stared at her lap for a moment, biting her lip.

"Before Canary Wharf when mum was in the TARDIS she was worried that when she was gone I'd have no reason to come back home. I guess I just feel guilty that she was right, the TARDIS is my home. I have no reason to go back. But Martha does."

A look of understanding passed over the Doctor's face.

"That's why you wanted her to come. A link to home."

"Sort of," Rose spoke honestly. "She is also brilliant."

"Yeah, she is."

They shared a smile at the thought of their newest companion.