Chapter 8

It's a week later and Mahi is on the set, arranging and editing the items that are to be placed in the female lead's room that would make her seem eccentric just like her role in the movie.

However, Mahi is unable to concentrate on her work. Instead of flailing the clothes around, she starts folding them; neatly placing them in the cupboard, the artificial flowers that are to be scattered are being put into a vase by her. Had it not been for her colleague shaking her out of her reverie, she would have probably tidied up the entire room enough for it to seem like a room of a person with OCD and not eccentricity.

She needs to concentrate.

But she can't. Arav is going today for two months or maybe three, taking the baby with him, leaving her alone with nothing but the memories that she has treasured in the small amount of time she's spent with them. She doesn't remember being this comfortable with anyone but her family. And with her real family away, those two people had effortlessly filled up that void. But now even they're going away.

Mahi sighs, tiptoeing to check the entrance for his car.

Because Mahi couldn't miss her work even for a day (damn the director), Arav had decided that he'll come to the set to say one last goodbye to her. Of course, he hadn't worded it like that but she had got the gist and so she's waiting here, not focusing on the work but the black Mercedes that is supposed to arrive here any minute now.

Surprisingly, just as she settles back on her feet, she hears the roar of the engine and when she takes a peek, it is indeed the black Mercedes that's getting parked in the corner.

"Kajal, please do the arrangement for me. I'll just go and take some fresh air." She says to her colleague who readily agrees, wanting to quickly finish up the work.

After that Mahi's quick to cover the distance between the set and its small parking lot, where Arav is standing against his car, sunglasses on his eyes and his eyes focused on his phone.

Her phone pings at that and she looks at it to find Arav's message. She doesn't bother replying and walks to him instead.

"Hi." Mahi greets as soon as she's in a hearing distance, to which Arav looks up, removes his glasses and gives her a blinding smile that is brighter than the shining sun.

"Hi." He replies and before she can say another word, he thrusts a bag in front of her face, the strings dangling from his fingers. "For you." He says in explanation, ignoring Mahi's slightly confused and surprised expressions.

"For me? What's this?" she asks and just as she ducks her head to look into the bag, Arav stops her, saying that she can only see this once he's gone and the sudden reminder of him going away is enough to tone down her excitement.

"Yes, you're going." She voices and Arav smiles, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Why, will you miss me?" he asks with a teasing tinge to his voice but Mahi can't find it in herself to negate the statement and so she nods.

"Yes, I'm going to miss you and I'm going to miss the baby. A lot." Arav's stance falters at that, not expecting such an honest response and this time it's his face that falls.

"D-Don't you want to meet the baby?" Arav asks, diverting from the topic, not having it in himself to see Mahi sad and not go and hug her.

"Yes, I do want to see him . . . one last time." And the way Mahi puts it, it feels like he's going away forever. Neither of them like the thought.

Arav opens the back door of the car and Mahi peeps inside to find the baby peacefully sitting on her nanny's lap, his attention on the toy in his hand. And seeing the sight, Mahi almost doesn't want to disturb the little angel but also wants to kiss him one last time.

"Hi, baby." She whispers, just taking a chance and not want to disturb him. But the baby does hear her voice, quickly turning towards her, his doe eyes scrunching up a little from the sunlight seeping in the car. But once they adjust to the light, he looks at her and instantly makes grabby hands.

Mahi coos at the adorable act and is quick to pick up the baby from Kusum's lap and into her arms.

"Hello, angel. I'm gonna miss you so much." Mahi says truthfully, elongating the word 'so', now barely able to control the tremble in her voice.

The baby's hands land at her chin in reply and she gently brushes her lips across them.

The baby gazes at her with his big, round eyes, filled with innocence and purity and her eyes sting a little while controlling the tears that are threatening to pool in her eyes.

"Sir, it's already eleven, we should go to the airport." It's the nanny's voice and words that diverts Mahi's attention from the baby to Arav and finally to her phone to check the time.

Arav's flight is at two and if he wants to reach there on time, he should go to the airport now.

But Mahi can't seem to let go of the baby or the man standing in front of her, for that matter.

A silent tear rolls down her eyes ultimately, that the baby watches with intrigue and the minute he comprehended it as a tear, his own eyes become glassy, now wailing in her chest.

Mahi looks up at Arav with helpless eyes just to find him blinking rapidly, his eyes glimmering with a sheen as well.

She doesn't hesitate to put her head on Arav's chest when he brings her in his arms, his hand rubbing at her back while hers is rubbing at the baby's back.

For a minute, she lets her insecure side get the best of her and thinks if it's too soon to feel this way, too soon to feel her heart shredding in pieces and that ugly pain in her chest. But when she sees Arav in the same boat, looking at her with unaddressed affection and a sad sheen in his eyes, she knows that it isn't too soon. She can feel this way because someone is here, reciprocating her feelings and holding her in their arms, leaving a fleeting brush of lips against her forehead.

The baby, seeming jealous from the exchange, tries to kiss her as well, his cries now dying in his throat and his tiny lips unable to pout properly, the resultant kiss ending up with his tongue on her cheek, slightly sucking on it.

This elicits a wet laugh from both of the adults, kissing the baby on each cheek simultaneously.

"Come on then, little guy," Arav says and gently takes the baby from her hands whom she readily gives, not wanting to get them late.

He places the baby in the nanny's lap and shuts the back door, averting all his attention back to her.

"Don't cry, love." Arav murmurs, wiping off the lone tear that's still stuck to her cheek, stroking it fondly, and Mahi nods, giving him a small smile.

"I'll text you once I board the plane." She nods again, the smile still present on her face.

"I'm going to miss you." He then states and her smile falters, tears once again threatening to pool in her eyes.

But she still nods, whispering an 'I'll miss you too,' under her breath.

They leave it at that and Arav goes, waving at her one last time and she waves back, a newfound longing thudding in her heart.

*

That night when Mahi opens the bag, it's to find two things inside. The first being a framed picture of their handprints, an activity that they had indulged in not too long ago; her and Arav's hands overlapping each other's and a tiny hand nestled between theirs. The second thing is nothing but a pack of candy cigarettes hidden in the corner of the bag.

Not the first time maybe, but Mahi snivels while eating the sweet candy.