1

Updated: 060418

I have to get out of here.

I took my duffel bag that I've prepared hours ago before from under my bed. It was easy for me to sneak out; I lived a few miles away from the border since no one in town wanted to offer me a place.

I was at the border when my panicked thoughts started to prevent me from taking those steps to my freedom.

I'm going to be a rogue. Am I truly ready to become independent from leaving my pack?

Shaking the nerves away, I continued running, running for that long-awaited freedom. At least being a rogue was better than being a punching bag and a dirty rag to step on.

It wasn't a luxury living in my pack. All those years of complete abuse gave me the strength to become independent, even though it was forced on me when my parents decided to leave me at the age of 10. I was taught the greatest lesson: Be grateful for what you have.

I ran and ran as far as my own two feet could go. The warm breeze slapped against my face as my feet mercilessly pounded on the ground, gratefully stepping on the land of freedom.

But that was when my freedom ended.

I was so caught up in running away from my old pack, when I didn't realise I ran straight into another pack's territory. Oh shit. This is not going to end well.

It was merely a few seconds when a large black wolf started running towards me; his tongue lolled at the side of his snarling, malicious mouth. My best guess is that he was probably the Beta, as the wolf's form is not big enough for an Alpha, yet bigger than a normal wolf.

"State why you're here, rogue." I heard his stern growl in my head. I bowed my head in respect and entered his mind to talk. I was not allowed to talk out loud, anyway. And if I did, my voice would be hoarse and raspy after all those years of not being permitted to talk in my old pack.

"I am terribly sorry, Beta, but I didn't know I stepped foot onto your land. I just ran away from my old pack. I am so sorry," I said and kept my gaze on the ground. It was considered disrespectful to look into the eyes of a higher-ranked wolf.

"I will take you to the basement to stay for a few hours. The Alpha will decide what to do with you when he comes home tonight from a meeting," He said and blocked me out of his mind.

I expected cells and plain grey walls, considering it was an underground-prison for rogues and criminals, but it was far from that. The walls were painted in a homey beige colour, the beds were actual mattresses and queen sized, and there were proper blankets and pillows.

"Whoa,"  I thought. I wouldn't mind being a prisoner for a while.

I was taken to my cell and was given a plate full of food, which I shamelessly devoured within a matter of minutes. It was about a week ago when I last had food. If I remembered correctly, it was an apple that I stole from the dining area whilst cleaning up after the Omegas. You see, there's a rank in every pack. The Alpha was practically the 'king' and the Omegas were the lowest rank...and I was lower than an Omega. After I finished the first meal that I've ever had, I decided to take a nap.

The Beta, whom I found out was named Nick, woke me up after a few hours, and just like he had promised, the Alpha had returned. Nick took me upstairs to where the Alpha's office was meant to be. As I ascended the stairs, I had the strangest feeling that it wasn't going to be a typical Alpha.

"Well shit," I thought as I was immediately pressed up against the wall when I stepped into the room.