Chapter 27: Together Again

Mason couldn't take it anymore, he needed to get out. After many days of research and coming to multiple dead ends, Mason had had enough. He needed to get out, get some fresh air, then maybe just maybe he can get some type of answer. Luckily his father was at work so sneaking out wasn't a problem. His sister was at a friend's house, so he didnt have to worry about her. Just as he about to leave his room, Zuna lifted her sleepily head and asked, "where are you going?"

"To get some fresh air." Mason said and tilted his head at her. "What to come?" The purple dragon stretched and yawned.

"Why not," she said and jumped off the bed. Mason shook his head and grabbed his pack from off the floor.

"Alright, in you go." Mason said and let Zuna hopped inside the old backpack.

"You know, you really need to wash this thing," she complained as she got in.

"Deal with it." Mason said and zipped up the pack little ways. Once they were set, Mason left the house and journeyed into town. It was a nice summer day, Mason had to admit. The summer air was cooling down getting ready for the fall season, and school season. Though Mason didn't want to go back to school unless Grace was there with him. She had always made school bearable for him. He wasn't too fond of the other kids in the school, and they were never fond of Mason either. Nobody was when they learned who his family is. His family reputation never creased to follow him around.

Which is why he loved Grace so much. She never cared who he was and who his family was. She loved him for he was, not for his family is. As that rolled through his head, Mason had to a step back. Did he really love Grace? And does she love him? Those questions were tough to answer, especially since he didn't know where she was, or if she even alive. He shook that thought from his head. Of course she was alive, and hopefully well. He let his mind go back to the other question and answered almost immediately. Yes, he really did love Grace. And he could only hope that she too, loved him back.

As Mason walked around town, he heard the hissing sound of a bus stopping at the local bus station. The local bus station was hardly ever used. Nobody really left Simmer, nor did anyone really arrive at Simmer unless they were passing by and happened to have some car trouble. What made Mason stop and watch the bus, he couldn't say for sure. He had a feeling, or he was curious to see who was coming off. Either way, Mason stopped and watch. And what he saw took his breath away. A single person got off that bus. A young woman around Mason's age with beautiful blonde hair and fair skin. That young woman was Grace.

Mason didn't know what to do. He was frozen at the spot. He couldn't speak nor move, or anything. Instead he stared. He watch as Grace looked around her area trying to get her bearings. She was about to walk the opposite way of Mason when she paused. She paused for the same reasons Mason stopped to watch the bus. She slowly turned until they were both staring at each other from across the street. Mason wondered if she was in shock as well as he was. It was Grace though that made the first move. She slowly made her way across the street and stopped until she was just a few feet away from him.

They both stared at each other for a moment not knowing what to say. Finally, Mason learned how to use his month again and said, "it's been awhile, Anders." Grace broke into a smile and lunged herself at him, embracing Mason in a huge hug. Mason didn't hesitate to hug her back. He held her tight and buried his face in her hair. Man, he missed her. Mason could feel that Grace was sobbing.

"I thought I lost you," she said in his ear. "I-I don't know what's happening, it's all so crazy."

"Tell me about it." Mason muttered in her hair. "I've been going half mad trying to figure what has been happening." Grace sighed and was about to say more when she noticed a small glow on Mason's right upper arm. She pulled away and saw that the same thing was happening to her as well. They both looked at each other curiously. The glow grew brighter until finally it stopped glowing all together. Mason lifted up his sleeve to see that the Northern Star was back in spot that it was supposed to be. Grace did the same and saw the Crescent Moon right next to her Star. The two looked at each other and smiled. Things were looking up for them. For now. Something caught Mason's eye, he looked over Grace's shoulder to see a black car quickly driving away. He knew that car. "Come on," Mason said, quietly to Grace. "We better go somewhere more private." And Grace couldn't agree more and together they ran off deeper into town.

~~~~

Grace and Mason ran across town and out of sight. They made sure that they different took ways that mysterious black cars couldn't follow. They eventually found their way to the town park where kids were running around and parents chatting with one another. It was the perfect place to hide, knowing that nobody was dare try anything with bunch of kids and parents around. Mason lead Grace up the playground steps where they both found an empty spot by a rope ladder. They sat down and let their legs dangle off the side. They were quiet for a moment, letting everything sink in. It was Mason who broke the silence.

"So what just happened?" He asked. "Nothing is making any sense." Grace snorted.

"You're telling me," she said and then began to relay the events that had happened to her over the past couple of weeks. Mason's eyes grew wide at the mention of Grace's parents being alive. After Grace was finished, Mason then told her about his bizarre experience.

"So, not only did my father wipe memories, but brought back the dead." Mason shook his head. "This isn't making a split of sense. I know he is behind this. But did he do? Wiping a memory is one thing, but bringing back the dead? That's a whole different level."

"But we're the only ones who still have our memories. Why?" Grace said scooting aside as a bunch of kids climbed up the rope and into the platform. Mason shrugged, thinking deeply. He then looked over at Grace and her exposed upper arm where the Mark was slightly visible against the sun. He tilted his head and looked at his own Mark.

"Maybe it has to do with these." He said and Grace looked at him and at her own Mark. "Hear me out. Our destinies were already made for us, to meet and then end the feud by combining our families, right?"

"Right." Grace agreed trying to follow along.

"Well, whatever my father did affected that destiny, and knew it was wrong. So whatever force brought us together in the first place..."

"Must have effected everyone but us, the ones who destinies were already made."

"Exactly, so our memories remain intact, along with my father who did whatever spell to begin with."

"But what kind of spell?" Grace scooting closer Mason in case anyone was listening. Mason shrugged.

"That's thing," Mason said. "I don't know." He looked at Grace with sad eyes. "And if I don't know, then I don't know how fix it and bring things back the way they were supposed to be." Grace reached over and wrapped her arm around Mason's shoulder.

"Don't put this on you." She said. "We're in this together, you know that, right? It's our destiny." Mason smiled and wrapped his arms around Grace bringing her close.

"I know. And I couldn't think of a better person to joined in destinies together." They stayed like that a moment longer, looking at each other as if the rest of the world around them no longer existed. Their current problem was non-existent. Mason leaned forward, and then hesitated. Grace smiled sweetly at him and leaned forward as well. They kissed. It wasn't exactly how they planned their first kiss, but it was bittersweet, and thought of not another perfect moment. When they spilt, they suddenly heard a chorus of "EWWW's" coming from the children who were unfortunate enough to witness the kiss. Grace giggled and Mason's cheeks went pink. Mason then shooed the kids away, waving his hands at them. "Get out of here." The children giggled and took off.

Grace continued on laughing and Mason crossed his arms leaning back against the small wall. There was suddenly squeak of protest as he did so, and Mason had forgotten about Zuna. She was still in his backpack. He took off his pack and put it down in front of them. The purple dragon's head poked out, clearly not happy. "Sorry, Zuna." Mason said with sly smile. Zuna puffed out a small ring of smoke at him.

"Next time-" Zuna started but stopped shortly as she realized that Grace was here. "And who is this? And why are we here? What is going on?" Mason stuffed Zuna back in the backpack.

"Later, Zuna, I promise. Right now Grace and I have to fix what my father did." Zuna wiggled and squirmed inside the pack, saying a vocabulary of foul words.

"And I, " Grace said. "Think know where to go."