Chicken

"Both of you wait out here." Darry said as he pushed Curly and Ponyboy onto the front porch.

"Awh Dar. Can't we sit in on the meeting? We won't make any noise! Swear!" Ponyboy pouted at his big brother.

"No Ponyboy. You're too young. Now don't make me tell you again."

"Fine." The boy kicked his foot against the porch as his brother went back inside.

"You gave up way too easy Pony!" Curly huffed at his friend, disappointed at the outcome of their evening. "Even Johnny gets to be in the meeting."

"Johnny's also thirteen now." Pony mumbled the fact Soda told him earlier when he complained to his favorite brother about the situation, hoping to get someone on his side. It hadn't worked of course, and Soda took Darry's side in the matter.

"We'll be thirteen soon!" They actually had over half a year until either one of them turned thirteen, but who cared? They just wanted to be included in the gang's meetings and plans. They were tired of always being treated like little kids by the gang.

"Maybe next time. Darry's in a sour mood today from work. If I fuss to much I may get grounded." Or worse.

"What we gonna do then?" The meetings always lasted over an hour, and today's was about an upcoming rumble - so it would definitely be a longer one.

"I dunno. We could play catch or walk around the block?" Ponyboy wished he remembered to grab a book before being pushed outside, but he spent his time whining instead. Damn.

"I guess we could play catch for a bit," Curly agreed and the two boys hopped off the porch and went in search of Ponyboy's football.

The two kids had fun throwing the football back and forth and chasing one another around the yard for a good bit. They were well-behaved long enough for Tim, Curly's older brother, to pop his head outside and check on them, see they were behaving and go back inside to report back to Darry.

However, they soon grew tired of horsing around and went back on the porch to try and figure out their next plan of action. "Wanna play chicken?" Curly asked.

"I dunno. Darry would kill me."

"Ah come on! You always fretting about Darry this and Darry that! You're just scared I'll win!"

"No way!" Pony grabbed the pack of cigarettes and lighter Sodapop had left on the porch and handed a cig to the other boy.

"Light 'em up." Curly grinned as Ponyboy lit both cigarettes with a shaky hand.

"Okay." He handed Curly one of the cigarettes, trying to hide his nervous disposition.

"On three." Both boys braced themselves, ready to place the burning ends to each other's fingers.

"One. Two. Three." They counted in unison before pushing the hot tips to the finger opposite of them.
Pony felt the searing pain immediately and grimaced, but he was not going to lose after Curly had all but called him a scaredy-cat!

The young Curtis boy felt sweat forming at his forehead as he tried to grit through the pain. But The smell of burning flesh hitting his nose made him gag and pull back with a howl. Somehow letting up from the red burning circle was worse than when his finger was pressed against it.

"Ha!" Curly exclaimed before wincing too, he had made a fist of victory, but with his injured hand.

"What's this racket?" Sodapop asked, peeking his head out to see why he heard his baby brother hollering. Ponyboy quickly jumped up and stepped on the cigarette he'd used to burn Curly's finger.