Thanksgiving 1986

Thanksgiving was all Mike could think about for pretty much the entire week, and finally he was in his last class of the day. Nervous excitement churned in the pit of his stomach all day, because he was leaving to go to the Byers for the holiday.
Not only was he ready for a break from the never ending drama of his best friends Dustin and Lucas, but he desperately wanted to see his girlfriend, El.
He couldn't count the times that they both rambled on about how annoying school was over the phone. They would talk for hours with each other, but somehow they never tired of hearing each other's voices.
Long distance was definitely a challenge for them, but Mike knew that each time they talked or each time they saw each other, their relationship only grew stronger.
Something about her was so comforting, and not being able to see her practically everyday was almost unbearable.
Mike tapped his foot anxiously, staring directly at the clock, allowing white noise to fill his ears as he focused on the ticks of the second hand.
5,4,3,2,1- *DING*
Mike got up hurriedly from his desk, packing his backpack quickly and swiftly head out the door.
He stopped by his locker to pick up some books, seeing Dustin and Lucas doing the same at the other two lockers to the left of his.
He wasn't in the mood to talk to them, because if he did he would be triangulated in their bullshit, whether he tried to or not. When he approached there was complete silence from both of them.
Mike rolled his eyes slightly, wishing for them to just get over themselves. He ignored them as he finished gathering his supplies as quickly as he could.
He zipped up his backpack and headed out the double doors of Hawkins High School.
Finally El was within reach.

El paced around her room. She had finished yet another dreadful day at school, and couldn't wait to talk to Mike, to hear his voice in her ear.
She really missed him. Like REALLY missed him.
And she was anxious to hold him in her arms tomorrow. To feel his warmth against hers, to feel his lanky arms wrap tightly around her waist.
To kiss him again.
Just thinking about it made her stomach whirl with excitement.
Her thoughts were interrupted when the phone in her room rang. She immediately picked it up without hesitation.
"Hello?" She said softly.
"Hi, El." The familiar voice of Mike rang through her ear, pounding against her ear drum like the most pleasant rhythm she's ever heard.
"It's good to hear your voice." She said, making sure Mike could hear her smile through the phone somehow.
"Yeah yours too." She could definitely hear his smile.
"How was your day?" He asked her.
"Oh you know. The usual." She said, laying down onto her bed.
By now she was used to the bullying, but dealing with it never got easier.
The words they used hurt her. The way they would talk about her dad as if they knew what the situation was hurt her. But she could never find the words to defend herself.
She had always relied so heavily on her powers as a defense mechanism. She almost never found herself in a situation where she had to use her words to defend herself. Ever since she lost her powers, she had been struggling to articulate herself when it came to the bullies, but she knew Mike would always understand.
That's the way it was between them.
They just understood each other in ways that other people couldn't.
"The bullies got to you again, huh?" Asked Mike, a worried tone taking over the tones in his voice.
"Yeah." El said, tears now beginning to form in her eyes, feeling her throat begin to choke up.
'Your dad is your hero? Do you even know what a hero is?'
Angela was her name. As Max would put it, she was a real bitch. Regardless, those words stung El, bringing back old feelings of grief and loss.
El was not one to cry in front of others, especially those who didn't know her well, but this time she did. She cried in front of Angela and her crew as they mocked her father, her hero.
The memory from earlier today now faded, but it bled like a fresh wound.
"What did they do this time?" Asked Mike, anger rising in his voice.
"It was about Hop." El said, hot tears now streaming down her face.
"I'm sorry, El. I wish I could be there to comfort you. We can talk about it later, when I get there. How does that sound?" Said Mike sweetly. El smiled.
"Yeah that sounds good. I can't wait." Said El, tears now drying on her face.
They stayed on the phone a little while longer. El listened to Mike complain about the problems the party was having. And they talked about what their favorite songs were on the radio. El's tears had now completely disappeared. She felt at ease talking to Mike, listening to the soothing sound of his voice, letting it lull her into a state of relaxation.
"Good night, El. I'll see you tomorrow." Mike said. El could hear the excitement in his voice.
"Good night, Mike." Of course they had to be cliche when exchanging those words. They always ended their conversations by quoting their favorite movie, Star Wars.
"I love you."
"I know."