28

Everett Ross

I sat beside Steve in the truck, driving through the streets of Berlin. It was more of a prison truck, keeping our spirits dampened after our very public fight. T'Challa, the Black Panther, sat up front, head down and solemn. Steve was equally as stoic, barely looking up at me.

Only Sam kept some form of humour as he asked T'Challa: "So, you like cats?"

I let my head fall back against the seat and groaned.

"Sam." Steve warned.

"What?" Sam asked. "Dude shows up dressed like a cat, you don't wanna know more?"

"You make it sound like he's a housecat," I rolled my eyes.

Steve eyed T'Challa, who hadn't replied. "Your suit...it's vibranium?"

T'Challa finally spoke. "The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father...I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you, as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

I dared a glance at Steve. His expression was grim, unrelenting. He didn't reply to T'Challa and the silence took over once more. There was nothing more he could say. The king had a vendetta against Bucky, and whether or not he was guilty...Steve would always defend him. And by that notion...so would I.

Once we pulled in, an official opened the doors and ordered us to climb out. As we did, we saw the massive glass cage that was ferrying Bucky before us, looking entirely inhumane. I said as much to Sam, but he didn't seem particularly bothered.

A man was before us, standing with Sharon, whose face was still entirely punchable. Behind them, three guards held their guns ready, a silent warning.

"What's gonna happen to him?" Steve asked by way of greeting.

"Same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition."

I gave a derisive laugh and the man's gaze sharpened on me, as if looking for an answer. I folded my arms and raised an eyebrow. "I could give myself a better evaluation than your men ever could. My GPA is higher than any doctor you could have evaluate us."

"You must be Miss Stark," the man said my name like it was poison and I got the impression he didn't like me very much. "I've heard all about you."

I opened my mouth to respond but Sharon stepped in. "This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander."

So the man had a name.

"What about a lawyer?" Steve questioned.

"Don't need a lawyer either..." I muttered but no one responded.

"Lawyer. That's funny." Ross almost smiled. Then his face dropped again. "See their weapons are placed in lockup. We'll write you a receipt."

We saw our weapons being carried away. "I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that." Sam said icily as we followed after Ross and Sharon.

"I don't like this," I said quietly. "I don't like this one bit."

"I agree," Steve replied, but his attention was focused on behind us, to where Bucky was still in his glass cage.

Ross went on as we moved through the facility, "You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now do me a favour, stay in it?"

"I don't intend on going anywhere." T'Challa responded.