Chapter 6

The days passed painfully slow, and I was sick of this place. There were nothing to do here, except sit and wait. The cage wasn't even big enough to let me stand up and stretch out my sore muscles. And the muzzle wasn't exactly comfortable either. 

After the incident with the alien kid, I was a lot more wary of aliens showing up in front of my cage. I spent most of my time as far away from my cage door as possible, tensing up each time one of them comes near. 

If anything, at least the food has gotten better. And by better, I meant barely edible.

Of course, it was still pellets, but a slightly different kind. It was a lighter brownish-green color which was still the wonderful color of shit, but now at least I wouldn't break my teeth trying to eat it. It was still a bit crunchy on the outside, kinda like a crouton, but a lot chewier and softer on the inside for the better or worse. It was bland and almost tasteless, with a hint of something synthetic. Kind of like plastic, but... sharper.

It was not good. Absolutely disgusting, in fact. And the aftertaste was really something else. I've been drinking all my water after eating to try to wash away the lingering taste. I don't even know if this alien food was bad for my body or not, though I can say I haven't died from it yet.

I've never finished the entire bowl. 

Not Dog was more than happy to finish it for me though, and I let him have it. By now, he would gobble down his food and would just sit there on the other side, staring at me expectantly as I try not to hurl. Once I felt a tad bit better and made sure we were alone, I would dump the contents of my bowl into Not Dog's cage. Not Dog would devour it in seconds, leaving no trace of it behind. 

I still could not fathom how Not Dog would like that nasty stuff. To each their own, I guess.

As boring as sitting around was, I didn't waste that time. I had gone over what my plan would be to get back home a few times already in my head. Or at least get outta this pet shop. I haven't quite gotten to the "get home" part yet. All I knew was I needed to be out of my cage when the front door was unlocked. Then I'll make a run for it. 

I know. It sounds real far fetched, and probably needed a miracle for it to actually work. But hey, I needed something to get started.

I have no idea what it would be like outside, let alone how I'll survive on my own out there. I barely even know anything about this planet I'm on. Hell, the only thing I had in mind for the "get home" part of the plan is sneaking a ride aboard the flying saucer and hope it flies to Earth. The idea was pretty much a flop from the start, and deep down I knew it. 

I purposefully ignored that part, thinking that I'll deal with it when the time comes. I needed that small flicker of hope to keep me going. 

---

My chance came a lot sooner than I thought. Today must have been like the weekends or something, since there were no customers whatsoever. After sneaking the rest of my food to Not Dog, I watched in disbelief as Stumpy and Red began to let creatures out of their cages and take them through the backrooms' door.

They would eventually bring the creatures back to their cages after a while, and take some new ones with them. I had no idea what they were doing, but it looked suspicious as fuck and I wanted nothing to do with that. 

During that time, Orange and a white lizard alien I haven't seen before had made their way to the front door. They were both right outside the doorway talking to someone, the white one's tail keeping the door ajar. 

I stared at them, trying to catch a glimpse of whoever they were speaking to. I quickly retreated back to my corner when I noticed Red and Stumpy coming my way.