10

golden god

golden god

ATHENA DOESN'T WANT TO BE OUT OF BED RIGHT NOW.
It's the last thing she wants to be doing but here she is, walking up Elena Gilbert's front porch steps, ringing her doorbell.

God, she doesn't want to do this.

Athena rolls her eyes and taps her foot impatiently, throwing her head back in sheer annoyance as footsteps come from the house, growing closer.

The door opens and she drops her head back down, her smile fake and passive-aggressive as she meets Elena's suddenly fear-filled eyes. "Hey, Elena. Up for an impromptu girls talk?" She shoves past Elena and heads towards the stairs, stopping halfway up when she realizes Elena isn't following after her.

"Hey," She jabs a finger towards the second floor of the house, her smile gone in place of a glare. "Upstairs, now."

Elena reluctantly follows after her, and Athena leads them into Elena's room with a frown. She hasn't been in Elena's bedroom since before the accident, and it's exactly the same, unlike everything else. It makes her uncomfortable, the memories that being in here bring back up.

"So obviously, you know," Athena shrugs and throws herself down on Elena's bed, the picture of nonchalance. "Questions, comments, concerns?"

"Are you one of them?" Elena asks, looking at the girl on her bed fearfully.

Athena scoffs. "No. I am obviously not a vampire, Elena. You think I would've just let myself drown in that accident if I was a vampire?"

Elena sits down on the opposite end of her bed and wrings her fingers nervously. "All those animal attacks, the people drained of blood–"

"Weren't Stefan," She cuts in. "He doesn't drink human blood, he drinks animal blood. He's a vegetarian vampire, just barely getting by strength-wise. Damon drinks human blood. All those tragic deaths were him."

Athena rolls her eyes and Elena eyes her incredulously. "How do you know? And– and why are you so okay with it?"

"I know because Damon told me. He trusts me, therefore he didn't kill me. You on the other hand," She tilts her hand back and forth, watching Elena's fear spike visibly. "As for why I'm so cool with it, I don't know. Maybe it's just another thing I'm better than you at."

Elena bites the inside of her cheek, holding back her instinctive snark with Athena, and her growing urge to cry, knowing that she would only be mocked for it. "So Damon was the one that killed all those people? Why?"

"He's gotta survive somehow."

"Why can't he feed off animals like Stefan?"

Athena shrugs. "He could. But it makes you weaker, which is dangerous for vampires. I mean, you can't live that long and not have some people out to get you. Or, just, general threats to existence."