eight

Authors Note: fluff. a lotta fluff. thats all.

___________________________________________________________

She woke up to the darkened lights of the ship, her eyes fluttering open to ear the pattering of the ship's autopilot system. Across the way, Obi Wan was fast asleep on a cot he had set up, his chest rising and falling slowly under the fabric of his tunic.

Jaia found herself watching him, her eyes intrigued by how at peace he looked in the stable environment of the ship, just the humming of the machinery to lure the sleep on. Though he had often seemed ready at any moment to fight, Obi Wan seemed peaceful, innocent, and welcoming.

Jaia shifted over in her chair, sitting up to observe the navigation system. She sighed. They were still at least three days away from Canto Bight, even with continued light speed. She didn't have a slight clue how the next few days would go, just a lone ship to share with Obi Wan to keep her company. Of course, she had gone on long journeys before- but this was different.

Slouching in the chair, Jaia let her mind wander slightly, her thoughts drifting to the day she had spent with Anakin just hours ago. To be here, on a rescue mission for the man that had just done... Well, obscene things to her hours before was mind-boggling. How could she let Anakin leave her room? If he had just stayed- they both would have had a fighting chance. Without any doubt in her mind, Jaia was convinced Anakin's capture was her own fault.

"You're awake," Obi Wan's soft voice startled Jaia, despite it's delicate tone. She turned abruptly to face him on the cot, his sleepy eyes blinking and refocusing on the ship's surroundings.

"Yeah, I am," Jaia replied, her eyes trailing over Obi Wan, still slightly fixed on his appearance. "I thought you were asleep."

"I was...," Obi Wan trailed off, not seeming to want to finish his thought.

"You were, but?"

"Your thoughts were quite loud," he said simply, laying back down to stair at the ceiling. Despite the context of the statement, Obi Wan did not seem annoyed, nor disappointed. On the contrary- he seemed empathetic.

"Oh," Jaia replied simply, looking down into her lap. Despite her usual confidence, it wasn't easy to respond to something that felt so embarrassing.

"It's not your fault he was taken." Obi Wan's gaze was fixed on the ceiling, his glassy eyes trailing over the deep markings in the ship.

He had heard her thoughts specifically, then. "I feel like it is."

Obi Wan shook his head, still fixed on the ceiling. "If he had stayed with you, Jaia, you would have been taken too." She was confused as to how Obi Wan knew the extent to the day they had spent prior to his capture, but Obi Wan continued before she could question him. "If you were with him, you wouldn't be here trying to help him."

"If I was there, we could have prevented this whole mission."

"We'll get Anakin back, he's more than capable of staying alive- I know you know that." Obi Wan said simply, sitting up. As their gaze caught, Jaia was again wowed by the calmness of his demeanor, the softness of his gaze. She was used to Obi Wan looking at her menacingly- with distaste- and now, she felt less than dislikable to him. He was trying to encourage her.

"It's sweet you're trying to make me feel better," Jaia said, her voice monotone as if trying too hard to remain civil. She liked this- this nice atmosphere between the two of them- and she wanted to keep it. Every time it started, there was no way to be sure how long it would actually last.