15

deny deny deny

deny deny deny

ATHENA FLINCHED AT THE SOUND OF HER FRONT DOOR SHUTTING. Her hands clenched in the blankets on her bed as her dad's car backed out of the driveway, barely home before he was gone again.

Where her arm was strewn to the side, she turned to look at the ichorous liquid twinkling beneath her skin, slowly crawling to her face. Her body wasn't burning from the sensation this time. She wasn't choking on it anymore, no longer rejecting whatever was happening to her.

She wondered if it had to do with Lexi almost dying, all because of Damon's recklessness. If Stefan hadn't heard the struggle behind the Grill, Damon would've staked Lexi. It would've been a catalyst to everything, Athena's sure.

She knew when she looked into his blue eyes last night that he was lashing out, perhaps because of her anger with him, or simply because of Stefan. The thought angered her, yet she understood his rage, in a sense. In his own twisted way, Damon just wanted his brother to be okay and he understood that being with Elena or continuing down this self-righteous, martyrish path that he'd set out on could only end badly.

It had only become a harder task to keep him off that path now that Elena knew about vampires, and decided for herself and everyone else that she had to be a part of this life. Stefan's endless empathy for humans, in general, was something of an issue to begin with, but his particularly soft spot regarding Elena didn't bode well for anyone involved.

Athena slid her arm along her bed, blindly reaching for her phone. Her stiff fingers ached like they were frostbitten when she clenched them around her cell, but she ignored the pain in her hand in favor of dialing a number she'd long since memorized.

It only rang twice, something she was grateful for as a tear slid over her cheek and across the bridge of her nose due to her position lying on her side.

"Athena?"

She whimpers, squeezing her eyes shut. "Damon?"

"Are you alright? What's going on?"

"It's happening again," She bites out, feeling faint even though she's already lying down. She thinks she might pass out, but she can't be sure. Even though it's not hurting her this time around, it's still doing something, and despite how much she and Damon have already looked, there is no playbook on just what is happening to her. "I'm really scared, Damon."

She hears a rustle on the other side of the phone and she squeezes her eyes shut as she wraps her free arm around herself in an attempt to stop the tingling sensation numbing them. "Damon?"

"Is your front door unlocked?"

Despite him being unable to see her, she shakes her head. "I can just– hold on," She pushes herself up off the bed and swings her legs over the side, wincing at the way black spots cloud her vision.