Chapter 19 Escape

. Taking off you bolted across the lot, nearly reaching it when it lit up, the entire thing electrified. Coming to a dead stop you heard Steve run up next to you, just as Tony and Rhodey landed together, blocking you from the chopper.

"Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport, don't you think that's weird?" Tony asked Rhodey, taking his helmet off.

"Definitely weird." Rhodey agreed, keeping his on.

"Hear me out Tony." Steve began, taking the initiative, "That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this."

Hearing a noise, you looked right, T'Challa leaping out from behind a building, landing a few feet away from you.

"Captain, Sargant Cowan." He acknowledged.

"Your Highness." Steve nodded,

"Anyway, Ross gave me 36 hours to bring you in, that was 24 hours ago. Can you help a brother out?" Tony asked, walking around Rhodey, closer to you then to Steve.

"You're after the wrong guy." You said softly, Tony finally looking at you.

"Your judgement is askew." Tony said angrily, the bruise on his face vibrant, "Your boyfriend killed innocent people yesterday."

"Yeah and there are five more super soldiers, just like us." You growled back, eyes blazing but your body language calm.

"I can't let the doctor find them first Tony, I just can't." Steve shook his head, looking sad.

"You guys know what's about to happen." Nat said softly, nearly making you jump, appearing behind you, seeing their strategy, "Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?"

"If I have to." You declared, shrugging daintily.

"Alright I've run out of patience. Underoos!" you heard Tony call, your eyebrow twitching up.

Hearing a noise, you watched a string of white stick to Steve's shield, yanking it from his hands. Reaching up for it you found your hands bound by the same substance, stronger than any normal rope. Steve's hands were bound the same way, the figure in red and blue landing on the roof of the truck.

"Well, this is weird." You muttered, pulling your hand apart, barely making them move.

"Remember when I taught you how to break out of ropes?" Bucky asked suddenly in your ear, making you pause.

"Yeah." You said quietly.

"Try that."

"You've been busy." Steve commented, bringing you back to the situation at hand,

"And you've been a complete idiot." Tony snapped, staring at him, "Dragging in Clint, rescuing Wanda from a place she doesn't even wanna leave, a safe place. I'm tryna keep...I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart."

"You did that when you signed Tony." You spoke softly, the rift between everyone busting wide open, with no way of fixing it in sight.

"Alright, we're done here. You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us now, because it's us...or a squad of J-SOC guys with no compunction about being impolite." Tony ordered, the desperation in his voice breaking your heart.

You could barely meet his gaze, looking down at your hands for a second. Turning your head slightly you met Steve's eyes, seeing the same hurt you could feel in your chest.