Chapter 8

Mr Eze alighted from the campus shuttle along with students who paid their transport fare to an oddly pissed off driver. The only period he'd been to Uniport was the time he was helping Valentina run around for her admission. That was several years ago. With her gone, he became hollow. Mr Eze trailed behind the horde of scholars, making their way to the science lecture hall, the old sole of his leather sandals protesting the farther he walked.

He was dressed in a simple black trouser that stopped above his ankles, had a few wear and tear from constant usage, and a blue striped t-shirt his wife got him for his fiftieth birthday. He sneezed into his elbow as he hurried to cross the busy road, stopping to catch his breath. His lungs weren't what they used to be.

Mr Eze arrived in front of a tall, magnificent building he guessed was the main lecture arena judging from the influx of students. He placed his hand on both sides of his hip, thinking about how he was to get through to the vice chancellor. According to one of his friends who was still a junior Agric lecturer, he could open up a murder case file after an appointment with the opulent head of the school.

And the only way he could get that far was to locate Valentina's head of department first. Mr Eze wiped beads of sweat from his forehead, squinting at the name that was hastily written on a folded piece of paper. Professor Adebayo, it read. He tucked it in his breast pocket and blended in with the younger generation. His back ached as he climbed up a flight of well worn steps to the first floor.

On instinct, Mr Eze walked down the long hallway, passing by rows of offices, laboratories that was teeming with students in their white lab coats and practical manuals clutched to their chest. He knew because he had been there before.

He sweated to train himself through the University of Nsukka as his late parents had been mere market traders. His own life story was a lengthy one, stemming from a line of betrayal, disappointment, frustration, bitterness, determination, and hardwork. He pushed the thoughts of the past to the back of his mind as he stopped a girl that was about disappearing behind a huge mahogany door.

She took a quick glance at the man, a look of recognition flitting across her features. Her brows creased in concentration, trying to make out where she'd seen the old man before.

"Sorry, my daughter, for disturbing you from your lectures but can you give me directions to Mr Adebayo's office?" He handed her the paper he tucked safely in his pocket. The girl studied the name written on it, shaking her head.

"I don't know this particular lecturer," she said, chining up to see the deep crease in the man's forehead.

"Wait, what department was Valentina in?" She asked, halting the man who was halfway gone. He turned sharply, his eyes growing moist with tears. He rushed over to her, clasping her soft palm in his.

"You knew my daughter?" His voice croaked, causing her to strain her ears to be able to decipher what he was saying. A lump formed in her throat as she nodded, her own eyeballs—a reflection of the pain and sadness he felt.

"She was my next door neighbor," Jessica confessed, her knees nearly giving way as the man pulled her in for a hug. She threw her arms about his shoulder as a daughter would do to appreciate a father who had loved and lost. She didn't think much about the smell of sweat on the man's shirt or the tattered way he was dressed. A group of students chatting loudly as they passed threw curious glances at the duo.

"Thank you," the man gave a curt bob of his head. "Thank you so much for speaking up. Now, I know why your face looked so familiar. It was like fate led me to you." Mr Eze wiped his tears dry but his chest heaved, more tears cascading down his bony cheeks.

Jessica could reckon the anguish in the poor man's gait as she led him to a private corner away from prying eyes, patting his back for comfort. "I'm so sorry for loosing it. It was all a lot to process. Could you help me find the office and then later have a chat with me about how well you knew my daughter? I am afraid she wasn't very social." Mr Eze nervously chuckled.

"Sure I can. And yeah, Valentina wasn't really the social type. But it's okay, it's our differences that make us unique. I will help you in any way I can. What department was your daughter?" Jessica asked, slinging her one armed bag across her shoulder and guiding the man up another flight of stairs, missing the counseling session she was supposed to have with her head of department.

"She was in biochemistry department," Mr Eze replied.

"Don't worry sir, we will find the lecturer," Jessica assured him as she proffered for help.

"I'm very sorry once again for your loss," she stated, trying to stay composed for the man whose world had fallen apart. She was close to tears as Mr Eze recounted the joys of having Valentina as his daughter. He was a proud father, she could tell just by listening to him speak, his voice raised several octaves high.

She smiled briefly as the man scarfed down the food she bought him for lunch. A small fraction of his beard had egusi soup smeared on it. The brief meeting they had with Mr Adebayo proved fruitful. He had been wondering about a female student in his department that was murdered gruesomely but was a bit wary of contacting the parents.

He made a few phone calls and booked an appointment for the following week with the vice chancellor. Mr Eze wanted a closer date but he was sadly informed that was the only way he could gain access.

Jessica couldn't forget the look of defeat on the man's face. Mr Eze wiped his mouth clean with a serviette and washed his hands in a bowl of water containing mama lemon.

"Was she happy?" She asked abruptly.

"What?"

"I meant was she happy in her relationship." Jessie folded her arms, her elbow placed on the plastic table.

"She never told us about being in any relationship. I would say my daughter tried to keep her private life away from us."

Jessica let out a heavy sigh. "I feel her though. Some parents don't want to support their children's cause or give them a listening ear. All they know is criticism. I'm not bad-mouthing anyone sha. I am saying cause I have been there before."

Mr Eze dropped his napkin on the table as a waiter cleared out the plates. "I know my daughter alright. If she was feeling that way, she would have spoken to me."

"I think she was trying desperately to not be heartbroken. She loved the guy though, he always came around to visit her. I don't question anything, merely a watcher from my window." Jessica brushed off bread crumbs from her knee length skirt.

"You mean the useless ruffian that trampled on my daughter's heart? Oh, he will pay, and he will pay real good," he threatened.