chapter 17

W O N D E R
SEVENTEEN
Y U K I

I eyed the boy in front of me. His lavender hair in a messy tousle made me bite back a subtle smile. His faded purple eyes looked tired and gleamed with a hint of amusement as he watched me look down at his hand that was still reached out towards me.

I reached my hand out and met his, shaking it slightly and laughing quietly to myself. His firm handshake loosened as I wrapped my fingers around his palm. It was awkward. I felt awkward. This isn't what I usually do, and i wasn't used to shaking peoples hands. Especially if they were the same age as me.

It felt too formal, like I was meeting an older person for the first time and needed to make an amazing impression.

"Kids our age dont shake hands," I muttered, hearing him chuckle as he took his hand back and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yeah, well it seemed better then just awkwardly standing here." Shinso pursed his lips and met my eyes. He smiled softly.

The aura around this boy was different than the last time I had seen him. He had walked into our class mumbling about class 1A which so happened to sparked a bomb inside Bakugou. Actually... there was really no surprise there. Everything usually makes Bakugou explode, but seeing this purple haired insomniac in front of me made him seem kind of... nice? He was.. really nice. Definetly not the cocky, snarky guy that made Bakugou so angry.

I shifted my weight on my legs before raising an eyebrow at Shinso. "Why were you looking for Aizawa Sensei?"

Shinso put his hands in the pockets of his UA uniform and rocked on his feet, bouncing a bit between his heels and his toes. "I was wanting to ask him about the internships. I'm not doing one but he mentioned something about training with him after my classes so I can potentially get ready to see if I can join the hero course."

"That's so exciting! If you do train with him then I might be joining you sometime." I watched as Shinso arched a brow as we started walking out of the classroom and into the empty hallway. His shoulder knocking me slightly. "I'm doing my internship with him."

"How come? I don't think he's ever had students with him during the internships." Shinso looked down at me and I turned away, clutching the strap of my bag that rested on my shoulder nervously.

I sighed, biting my lip and debating whether or not I should share the information. "It's... complicated I guess."

Shinso hummed. "How's it complicated?"

I pursed my lips, reaching my hand up to naw on my thumb. Was this something I should talk about? Aizawa never said I couldn't talk about it, right? I mean what harm could it actually do. He was curious, I would be too is the roles were reversed.

The small echo of our footseteps made me nervous and a small wave of nausea came back and rushes through me. There was something wrong, I had that feeling. I jsut didn't know what.

"It's supposed to be safer for me I guess. I'm not strong enough to protect myself and apparently hero agencies further away from home arent either." I rolled my eyes and looked over at Shinso who peered at me with curiosity.

"That doesn't sound right," I scoffed as we stepped outside UA, strolling down the steps. The setting sun beemed down in my eyes making me squint slightly.

"You're telling me."

"Well, Aizawa Sensei is a good hero. You'd be safe with him not matter the situation," Shinso said, smiling lightly.

I sighed and looked away from the taller boy beside me, kicked my feet at the small rocks on the ground off of the cement sidewalk and near the grass. "Hopefully," I murmured.

Silence flooded my ears, and for once it didn't feel tense. It was just silence. Or maybe it did, and either it was me making something out of nothing, or I wasn't catching on to the feeling. Despite that, I wasn't really that worried about what he was thinking about me. He wouldn't be thinking anything bad... He's not acting like everyone else has been so there wouldn't be anything. Right?

He was quiet. It had been a couple of minutes, and before he was very talkative. Now he was just quiet. I kept opening and shutting my mouth, trying to say something but every time I tried, something held me back. Something pulled my lips shut and glued them together. What if he just feels bad for me and that's why he's walking with me? Why is he even walking with me?

My shoulders slumped. Shinso probably felt like he had to walk with me all this way because we were having a conversation about something he was sort of involved it. He probably would've felt weird if he had just walked off. Maybe he's thinking I was going to continue the conversation.

Damn, and now i'm here, not talking and looking like a complete idiot. He's expecting me to say something and Ive been quiet most of the time.

"I'm going this way," I said, cutting threw the silence and pointing towards the street thst lead directly to my house. I inched my hand towards lips and chewed on my thumb for a second, suddenly feeling awkward; as if I said something wrong, or I didn't say enough. That feeling of anxiety crept back up and made itself known in my stomach. Butterflies swarmed inside me and it didn't feel like it was a good kind of butterflies. Soemthing felt off. Something felt... wrong.

The lavender haired boy looked up from the sidewalk and stared at me as if he forgot he was even walking with me. His tired eyes widened inmocently like an owl peering through the night before dimming down to the resting, groggy look they had given me before. He smiled softly, pointing behind him as he faced his whole body towards mine.

"I'm this way," His voice was soft. He talked to me now like he was treading carefully. I nodded and smiled, taking a step back towards my home.

"It was very nice to talk to you, and -uh, officially meet you Shinso," I watched as Shinso's smile widened slightly, the corners of his lips tugging up while he tried to keep them down.

"It was very nice to officially meet you, Yuki." Shinsou gave me a goofy wave, pulling his bottom lip between his teeth before turning around and walking away.

I sighed and turned around before walking, the smile not leaving my face even though I slowly treaded to the dark atmosphere of my home. 

( first things first, i apologize for the short and long-awaited chapter.

second. THANK YOU FOR 3.82K READS???? YALL I WAS GONA FOR A MINUTE AND CAME BSCK TO SO MANY PEOPLE ADDING MY HOOK TO THEIR READING LISTS AND COMMENTING. SOME OF YALL ARE SO FUNNY. SND ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS HAVE MOTIVSTED ME SO MUXH. IM SO EXCITED TO START WRITING AGAIN. I STARTED THIS CHAPTER OVER AGIN AND FINSIHED IT IN ONE DAY, AND ITS SO SHORT BECAUSE I WANTED TO TALK TO EVERYONE WHO WAS READING !!!!!!

thank you to everyone again for reading my story, voting, and commenting. you all have truly sparked my motivation for writing again and hopefully i can start updating more and expand my writing abilities for everyone for it can be more enjoyable. ive had big plans for this story for MONTHS and i'm excited to start up again.

thank you. thank you. thank you.

stay safe, drink some water, and don't forget to eat something today. i'll see you soon xx)