chapter v

chapter v

George kept his eyes on me, with the movement of my hands as they were on the crocheting needle and the material of the doily that had already been crocheted together. I started thinking of the timing of my period again, hoping that I was just being paranoid about it not coming on time. Maybe I had mistaken it for next week, perhaps that could be it. The world may never know after all.

I soon stopped crocheting and stabbed my needle into the large circular baby blue skein and walked over to the radio to turn it on. Christmas music was the only thought on my mind and I was in the mood to relax. The unnecessary stress was getting to me, and I really needed to keep my composure for George. It wouldn't be right to be flipping out at the moment right at this second.

Flipping through the radio stations, I allowed a Christmas classic by Michael Buble play and went back to my chair and plopped myself down once more. The soothing sound of Buble's velvet-like voice was almost able to send me into an unknown trance that I had no idea I could slip into. The worrisome thoughts I seemed to be having just two minutes ago had been melting away, and George figured that was the case when he saw me sigh with content.

My husband swiftly went over to the kitchen to get himself something to eat and I continued on with my activity. I could hear him rummaging through the fridge as he was trying to find something to eat so he could feel better. With how things were due to my stomach and the out of control panic I had internally, I suppose I'd have to pray on it and allow God to guide me into the direction he wanted me to go. The fridge was soon heard to be shut and I realized that was George leaving with the food he had just gathered for himself.

Leftovers from my mother-in-law's house just yesterday. Stuffing and Turkey had always been his weakness. Smiling down while I was making the doily in my hands, I began to explain to George that I will have to go to the grocery store in the morning to pick up some food. He just nodded, stuffing his face with cold Turkey and Stuffing.

George chuckled while he watched as I looked content as ever with the relaxing hobby I picked up from my grandmother. I was like his little old lady with the crochet needle in my hand, but I had always been making little doilies around the house during this time of year. He was so impressed with the stitching and how pretty they came out when I first started crocheting in front of him. No, matter which color or pattern I was doing for the doily.

He soon set his food down so he could come watch me with an intense gaze. Usually when he did this, it meant he was interested in what it was going to turn out to be. Staring right back at him as I stopped the swift motion of my hands that felt like second nature, I smiled and giggled.