Would he miss me?

The house was populated with old men, their wives and children. The Hero League invited all the major players, the legends, including Pop Pop and Nana.

I'd admit that maybe I was a bit too craving of the recognition, but the repetitive praises became unbearable that I snuck back upstairs.

The breakthrough was expected. I've done everything in my power to meet the requirements to acquire that hero license.

A rap on the door forced me to hide dearest.

"Yes?"

"Open up."

I recognized the air of demand attached to the voice and rolled my eyes. I opened the door and he brushed past me with his unique boyish swagger. I scoffed. He had the talent, but it was easy to see who was ahead.

I had overhead a few voices raising their doubts and concerns about his dedication to the career. The majority, to my annoyance, tattled religiously about the potential he had to surpass our father, a potential greater than my own.

I refused to acknowledge it but to be fair his records spoke for themselves. I was biased - not blind.

"What do you want?"

The certified document was in his hands. I was not surprised. His face was blank, uninterested, as he read the transcriptions.

"The privileges are not bad."

"I expected that from you."

He looked at me in a way that showed just how ridiculous he found my words to be.

"The risks involved beg to differ."

He had a point, I realized - one I did not need to admit.

I took the license out of his hands and placed it back into the drawer. I wanted to be alone but I also didn't want to be talking to myself.

Reluctantly, I leaned against the wall and proposed small talk to indulge my sanity.

"Kind of jealous it's my night but you're the trending topic on everyone's lips."

I didn't have any problems confronting some of my demons. Max was an enigma in the hero society. His story had that zero to hero ingredient. It was interesting.

"You're moving into Headquarters?"

"I'm not supposed to share that information. Its confidential." I replied, and after an eternity of staring at each other, my resolve crumbled. "It's a private complex owned by the League but you can't tell anyone."

"Unlike you, I'm able to keep a secret."

I bristled at the cold truth.

"Metroburg Hills."

"I promise not to tell anyone then."

A shred of silence crept in on around us. I noticed he was staring at my packed luggage on the other side of the room.

That tiny detail was significant - it was sinking in that by tomorrow we wouldn't be sleeping under the same roof.

"They'll probably assign you as the new Protector of Hiddenville. Think you're up for it?" It was a stupid question to ask. He was more than up for it.

"Too much trouble but I guess it's worth the effort if I want to get that license any sooner."

I knew him well enough not to find his reluctance sincere. He would take the mantle and make it his ambition to precede whatever grains of good influence my name had on the city.