Prologue

Grace ran up the staircase, and into her room, locking the door behind her. The young girl turned to look out the window of what may be the last view of New York she will ever see. The snap of wood comes from behind her.
"You're a brave one, Grace Hitchens, but even the brave ones must come to an end." The voice that had been haunting Grace's dreams for so long sneered.
"I know, Henry. The brave ones especially must come to an end." She sighed, turning to face the boy holding a pistol at her. He shot, and hit Grace straight in the heart.

At the girl's funeral, her parents, her stepfather and her stepsister were weeping. Grace's stepsister Sally laid a bunch of roses at her grave. After all, they were Grace's favourite flowers when she was a
alive.
"Dearest stepsister Grace, rest in peace, and know that you are always in our hearts." Sally sobbed, as was the family tradition for siblings at Hitchens funerals.. Grace's mother Beatrice placed Grace's favourite book, The Railway Children, neatly next to the roses from Sally. Her stepfather Charles placed a tape from her favourite singer Nick Lucas. Her father placed the most important gift the people would remember Grace by: a piece of coral, which represented both himself and Grace perfectly.

The people paying their respects in the graveyard Grace was buried in would read the tombstone belonging to the "Coral Girl" as they called her for years:
In Loving Memory of Grace Elizabeth Hitchens, aged 12.
1917-1929.