Chapter 12

Bella ran back up the stairs and pulled off the t-shirt she had on. It was one of her favorite shirts and she didn't want to ruin it. She remembered how cold the garage was and looked for a long sleeve shirt instead. Should I wear a hoodie? Do I have any hoodies I don't mind if I ruin? Will Rosalie think I'm a slob if I show up dressed in sweats? Bella ran a hand through her hair. It should not be this complicated to get dressed. She looked at her closet, and for the first time regretted bringing a small wardrobe from Phoenix. It wasn't her fault, per se, but that didn't change that she had nothing she was enthusiastic about right now. Bella laid on the ground and stared at the ceiling, dropping the pile of shirts on her face. This is impossible.

"Edward, you have to go!" Rosalie gestured angrily at the door. She was tired of this argument and they were running short on time. Edward needed to leave, and he needed to leave now.

Edward dropped his shoulders and stared at the ceiling in anguish. "This is my house! Why do I have to go anywhere? Aren't you going to stay in the garage the whole time?"

"Bella is your singer. Are you telling me you can sit in the house and not try to kill her? Not expose what we are?"

"I mean, probably." He looked worried.

A growl ripped from Rosalie's throat. "You want to risk Bella's life," she growled, "on a probably?" The growl picked up again, causing Emmett to look away from the tv for the first time since the conversation had started.

"Babe," Emmett warned.

"Come on," Edward whined. "I went away, I hunt almost every day, I'm careful during school. Why do I have to forfeit my home too?"

Rosalie rolled her eyes. "You went away for like two days. What did you even do there? Shut up about it."

"I did stuff!" Edward ran a hand through his ridiculous hair. "I talked to Eliezer, I meditated with Trina. Kate told me to get over myself."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you spent time meditating and having a conversation. That taught you not to kill a woman you desperately want to drain dry?"

"Well, no," Edward grimaced, "But I know I need to separate myself. I have to be careful."

"So," Rosalie growled, "Be careful, and separate yourself from the house for a few hours." Edward shook his head, refusing to go. "Okay, tell us, Edward, what is it like when Bella's near you?"

Edward ground his teeth together and glared at Rosalie. She stared back, and finally, he answered. "It's painful." Rosalie waited, and he kept going. "It's like hot coals in my throat, but coals that I want. No matter how full I am she makes me feel like I'm starving." Rosalie folded her arms, trying to cover the spike of fear she felt with the anger. She clenched her fists, feeling like only her arms were holding her chest together. She splintered at the idea that Edward could rip Bella open with hardly a moment's hesitation. Jasper looked at Rosalie, confusion on his face. Edward growled, a rumbling deep in his chest. "I'll leave for a few hours."

The splintering stopped for a moment. "Thank you."

Emmett smiled, glad the situation was resolved. He wrapped his arms around Edward's waist and hoisted the man over his shoulder. "Date day! Let's go!"

"Put me down, you brute!"

"Human date or vampire date?" Emmett asked, ignoring Edward's protests.

Edward paused for a second, probably reading Emmett's mind to see what the different dates entailed. He sighed. "Let's go on a human date."

"We're going to the movies!" Emmett cheered while taking Edward upstairs to get ready.

Rosalie rolled her eyes again before straightening out her shirt and getting ready. She looked at Alice, who rolled her eyes and answered the unasked question. "Bella will be here in two minutes and thirty seconds. I recommend you act natural." Alice's laugh grated Rosalie's nerves.