Chapter 27

The days that Elena spent with Stefan and Arianna flew by and before she knew it, she had to go back to her apartment because Thanksgiving break was over. Part of her didn't want to go back because she loved spending time with the two of them. After saying their goodbyes, she got into her car and drove off, heading in the direction to leave town.

That day, she couldn't help but notice that Stefan was becoming distant again. She didn't know why. That morning, when she woke up, she had rolled on her side and saw that he was awake and just staring at the ceiling and when she asked him what was wrong, he had completely brushed her off saying that nothing was wrong. That everything was fine.

She didn't want to think the worst but couldn't help it. He had told her days before when she asked that he wasn't going to break up with her but she couldn't stop the sinking feeling in her stomach that that's exactly what he had wanted and just decided to say something different instead.

The truth is, she couldn't imagine her life without him and Arianna in it. It may sound kind of crazy but it's true. They have become two of the most important people in her life but if he wanted out then who was she to hold him back? "This is crazy." She thought to herself. "I need to stop being so paranoid. If he wanted out he would tell me. He loves me. Everything is fine." She concluded. After shaking her head to break her out of her thoughts, she continued to drive out of town.

XXXX

Stefan had just put Arianna down for a nap because she was cranky. Making his way into the living room after leaving her bedroom, he sat on the couch and decided to use the time to think about his life with Elena. She made him happy. Really happy. He had told her when she asked if he was breaking up with her that he wasn't. He didn't want to. She is the most important person in his life besides Arianna. But he would be lying if he said that he didn't mind the distance. Because he did.

He had thought that it would be easier on him and their relationship if he and Arianna moved out to where she lived. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But he really didn't want to uproot Arianna from everyone and everything she's ever known. So to him, it was kind of a good thing that she had turned him and his offer down.

He hated the distance between them more than anything. He didn't know what to do anymore. He was at a loss. He wanted to be with her so much. He wanted her in his life. But distance is tough and it eventually becomes too much to handle.

He leaned his elbows on his knees and rubbed his face unsure of what to do. On one hand, he loved her with everything that he has and then on the other hand, he doesn't want to hold her back from her dream. She may be doing what she's always wanted but the travel has to be tough on her, too. Not just him.

XXXX

After parking her car, getting her bags, and making her way into her house, she decided to call Jenna. She needed someone to talk to about what she had thought about on her way home. Luckily, Jenna answered on the second ring so she didn't have to wait long to get her feelings out.

"Hey, Elena." She said cheerily on the other end. Even though she had seen her niece on Thanksgiving and spent time with her during her visit, she still missed her niece crazily and liked to talk to her whenever possible. "What's up?" She finished.

Elena let out a loud sigh before she began saying what was on her mind. "I feel like things are changing between Stefan and me." She started. "We were fine during my visit and then this morning he seemed distant. And this isn't the first time he's been like this, either." She finished.

"Have you talked to him about how you are feeling?" Jenna asked. She was genuinely concerned. She thought that Stefan and Elena were perfect for each other and she approved of her nieces boyfriend and didn't want anything to come between them.