[8]

2016

2016

"Ugh!" I groaned as I felt my back hit the floor. As I sat up I realised where I was. In the middle of the road with cars driving by. I quickly stood up, running to the pavement.

"Oh, sorry. Sorry." I apologised as I accidentally walked in front of someone's path. You can imagine my shock when they walked right through me and didn't even notice me.

I sped down the pavement, trying to do something or find someone so I could figure out what was going on. Last thing I could remember was I was sat in a dark, empty room. But before that I was crossing the street after getting in an argument with my sister, and some idiot decided to drive a red light.

People were continuously walking through me, none of them paying any attention to me.

"Hey! Are you alright?"

I look a little in front of me where a boy with a helmet and skateboard was standing. I cautiously made my way over to him.

"You okay? You look a little lost, and confused." He said with a slight smile.
"You can see me?" I ask.
"Yeah, I can. But they," he points at everyone walking by us, "can't."
I furrow my brows, still clueless.
"We're ghosts!" His smile grows, clearly finding some sort of entertainment out of this.

"Ghosts? Like 'Boo!' And 'I'm gonna haunt you 'cos you did me wrong' ghosts?"
"Well not specifically that, but basically, yeah."

"I need to see my family." I mutter.
"They won't be able to see you."
"What year is it?" I hurriedly ask the boy.
"2016. When did you die?"
"1995. That's twenty-one years." I continue to mutter.

"I'm Willie, by the way." He sticks his hand out to me after a short silence.
"Casey." I reply, shaking his hand.
"Well, Casey. I know someone who might be able to help you, maybe he can answer some questions that I can't."
"That sounds great."
"Okay! Cool, come with me."

2020

"Oh, uh, you guys obviously know Casey." Willie said, stopping me as I reached the bottom of the stairs, seeing Luke, Reggie and Alex.

All of them turned to look at me, and I noticed Luke look me up and down.
"Case. Um.." Luke coughed, scratching the back of his neck, "you look..."
"You look amazing." Reggie beamed.
"Thanks." I reply, playing with the skirt of my black dress.

"Uh, what are you guys..."

"Gentlemen, I have a table for you. Right this way." One of Caleb's guys interrupted me, taking the boys' attention from me.

"We'll see you in a bit Casey." Willie waved.

///////////

The lights dimmed, and a voice on the speakers announced Caleb's presence.

"Ladies and gentlemen, back from the dead by popular demand, please welcome Caleb Covington!"

The crowd cheered and clapped, as did I. I mean, it felt necessary, the guy had given me a semi-normal life again. I was stood against a pillar not too far from where the boys sat, and could see them slowly clapping for the name they'd never heard.

"Did you miss me?" Caleb asked, floating above the stage. The crowd cheered again.
"I did too!" This caused an eruption of laughs within the crowd.
"Welcome...to the party of your dreams!"
Everyone cheered again.
"From the Egyptians to the Druids, to the person sitting next for you, we've all wondered, 'where do we go when that final light is snuffed out?' Allow me to show you."

🎵Let me introduce myself🎵
🎵We got some time to kill🎵
🎵Consider me the pearly gates🎵
🎵To your new favourite thrills🎵

I started bobbing my head to the music. This was always one of my favourite songs of Caleb's.

2016

"Okay, so, stay here. I'll go get him."
"Okay."

I waited at the top of the stairs for maybe five minutes until a 40 odd year old man came walking over with Willie by his side.

"Caleb, this is Casey. Casey, this Caleb. I found her on the street and I think she's just arrived so I thought you could help her."
"Of course I can! Come with me dear, I'm explain everything."

Caleb led me to a table, and a man in a suit pulled out a chair for me. I sat down and he tucked it back in for me.

"Now, tell me what it is you need help with." He gently spoke.
"A lot. I don't how all this ghost stuff works, and I've barely got my head around the fact that I am a ghost. I just want life to be normal again." I explained as best as I could.

"Now, I can't make life 100% normal for you, but, I could make it somewhat normal. You'd still be a ghost, and you wouldn't age, but you could interact with lifers as though you were alive. It may be difficult, but I can do it. However, everything comes with a price. You'd have to join my ghost club here, and I'd own your soul. One slip up and I take it all away. Is that clear?"

I thought about it for a moment. This man would basically own me. But I have no one and he's the best shot I have at having someone. And at having a semi-normal life again.

"Crystal." I reply.

2020

🎵So welcome to the brotherhood🎵
🎵Where you won't be misunderstood🎵
🎵Life is good on the other side of Hollywood🎵
🎵Ain't it the best?🎵
🎵Long live the dead!🎵

Everyone was cheering at the show Caleb had just put on, and it was a truly amazing show.

///////////

"Hey."
"Hi." I turned to see Luke standing next to me, "did you enjoy the show?"
"Yeah, it was, it was definitely something. I mean, wow!"
"I know. Caleb never disappoints." I lightly chuckled.
" I bet." Luke sighed, "you look stunning tonight. I mean, you always look stunning but I...I like that dress. But I always like what you wear Uh..."
"Thank you, Luke." I smile at him.

"Uh, don't you guys have a dance to be getting to?" I ask, breaking the look we were sharing.
"Yeah, that's not for another like half an hour. We'll make it, I swear."