i. iv

* ✩ ▲ act one, chapter four▲ ✩ *
In The Wake of Stubbornness

Nell wakes after the twenty minutes feeling slightly better than she had

Nell wakes after the twenty minutes feeling slightly better than she had. A combination of a difficult start to the day and no sleep was not good for her mood or her patience. Luckily, Senator Ask had agreed to postpone their meeting until she managed to complete her opening speech, probably at the advice of his security team. She walks through to her living area and is surprised to see Obi-Wan cooking at her stove. She blinks a couple of times and looks to Anakin for an explanation.

"He felt bad that he said you couldn't go out for lunch and wanted to make sure you were eating something decent," he explains. "He's actually a pretty good cook, you know."

"It smells incredible," she nods, inhaling happily. "Thank you, Obi-Wan."

He spares her a smile as he continues to cook. She takes a seat beside Anakin. "Has the Chancellor decided on a new time for the Senate meeting yet?"

"Not that we've heard," Anakin says, looking over to her desk.

"Well, Senator Ask agreed to reschedule until after I've spoken fully. I also dwelled on the idea of not being physically present at the meeting," she admits. "What if I did it through a hologram? That way, everyone can hear my speech and you can be sure that I'm safe. It's something of a compromise."

"I could bring it up to Master Yoda. He'll be your protection for tonight," Obi-Wan explains, passing both her and Anakin a plate of food and some cutlery. Nell bites back a snippy remark as she thanks him. She knows that Anakin and Obi-Wan need to rest, but she can't help but feel a pang of sadness at losing the only person her age and the only people (other than Padme) who can keep up with her level of sarcasm and melodrama.

"We'll be back tomorrow, though!" Anakin chirps, sensing the dip in her mood. She brightens considerably with that information.

They eat in the quiet and then, with a newly free afternoon, Nell reaches for one of the two books that are resting on the side.

"You know, I've been meaning to ask," Anakin begins, a small smile finding his face, "what's with all the pairs?"

Nell blinks a couple of times in surprise. Barely anyone picks up on that. "I got it from my dad," she responds fondly. "He pairs things up too. Neither of us like odd numbers. I quite like five, but I can't stand three. I'm so used to it... I guess it just happens now. Mum does it out of habit too."

"What's wrong with three?" Obi-Wan asks in amusement. Nell's face crinkles.

"What's right with it? Why corrupt a perfectly good two by adding another? And why demote a four to a three by removing something? There's either too much or too little when there's three of something," she responds, her forehead creasing a bit. "I mean, even nature doesn't like threes all that much. Barely any species have anything in sets of three! It's unnatural and unnecessary."

"I'm glad the youth of today are really passionate about the number three," he hums, repressing his chuckles. Her holotable chirps and she sets down her book and answers Padme's call with a smile.

"Seriously though! Three is the worst number, hands down."

"Oh, God, how did you get her started on the topic of numbers?" Padme asks, exasperation lining her voice.

"It's good to hear from you, Senator Amidala," Obi-Wan says in the background.

"Hi, Padme," Nell smiles brightly. "Did you hear that someone's trying to kill me?" She says it with sarcastic enthusiasm and Padme rolls her eyes.

"Yes, I did. I also heard that you yelled at Chancellor Palpatine and said you'd rather die than miss the rescheduled Senate meeting," she says, the air of a scolding in her voice.

"I took a nap and all is well in the world again," she replies simply. "I might discuss the prospect of doing it through hologram rather than actually being in the Senate building."

Padme surveys her with narrowed eyes, but eventually sighs and lets out a small laugh. "Why is it that Naboo politicians attract danger?"

"Perhaps it's our unfaltering charm? Maybe that's why nobody has tried to kill Palpatine yet!" she suggests, a smile finding her face again at the thought. Despite herself, Padme laughs at the younger girl's joke.

"You should be nicer to him, you know. He still has influence back home," she warns.

"Not as much as he likes to think," Nell reminds her. "Even if he did have enough influence to get me kicked out of the Senate, which he doesn't, the Queen wouldn't replace me. Last time I spoke to her, she said that my input was invaluable."

"That may be true, but I quite enjoy the idea of having you beside me in the Senate, so try not to get kicked out. Master Kenobi, do you have any idea who is trying to kill Nellie?"

He moves into frame, aware of both Senator's eyes on him. "We know that the attempted shots have been carried out by a bounty hunter, but until we catch them there is little we can do in terms of finding out who put the bounty in the first place."

Nell frowns deeply at this news, her brow furrowed in thought. "What if nobody else tries? What then? We just never find out?"

Obi-Wan sighs. "I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but if it doesn't happen again then we can probably safely say that the threat is over. There is still some time to go, though."

She shakes off the frown and turns back to Padme, changing the topic as Obi-Wan retakes his seat.

"How's the Gungan-Naboo treaty coming along?" she asks.

"It's doing well," she nods. "They're still willing to cooperate, but we're working out some small changes at the moment."

The two of them discuss the changes and consider their impact leisurely, Nell consistently making jokes that bring a smile to the three people listening. Soon, Padme is pulled away to continue negotiating, but she warns both Jedi to keep their eyes on Nell and to keep her safe before she goes.

Nell blows out a breath of air once she's gone, slumping in her seat slightly. She considers her desk, where the reworking of her speech is still laying, waiting to be finished. She also glances back at the book that she'd picked up but not opened. Then her eyes trail towards her room where she can take a shower and relax.

"Am I allowed to take a shower without someone watching me?" she asks, an amused smile gracing her face.

"You are," Obi-Wan confirms. She hums slightly.

"Is there a time limit on that shower?"

"We'd prefer if you didn't stay in there for hours. We might have to check that you haven't drowned or jumped out of a window," he nods. "It sounds like something you or Padme would do."

"Well, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do," she shrugs. "I'm going to take a shower. I shouldn't be long, but yell if you want to check that I'm still breathing."