Prologue

Screams of horror and panic echoed through the air. Heavy rain beat down on the girl, luckily masking her scent from the attackers. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she desperately swatted branches away from her path. Her bare feet were throbbing with pain as she trampled over roots, sticks, and moss. Her legs were shaking, but she managed to keep them working. She wouldn't stop. Not now. Not ever.

"Accalia, you need to run. You must escape," Axel told her in a stern voice. His eyes were hard, yet so full of anxiety. He took her hands in his. His were bloody, but neither one of them cared. It was the least of their worries.

"W-what?" she managed, her body trembling in fear. She hated feeling like a little pup again, but it was uncontrollable. The last time she felt so paranoid was when her parents were killed right in front of her.

"Run as far away from here as possible," he said, gripping her hands tighter.

"Axel, no!" she protested. "I'm not going to leave you!"

Axel managed a small smile, tears growing in both of their eyes. "You have to, Accalia."

Before Accalia could say another word, two of the many invaders burst into their hiding place.

Axel looked at her with pain in his eyes. "I love you," he said in a warm tone. He planted a light kiss on her lips, then turned to the men, a deep growl growing in his throat.

"RUN!" he bellowed, pushing her away, before turning into a large grey wolf, claws extended, lunging at the charging intruders, now wolves themselves.

Accalia turned and ran, sobbing.

The last image she saw was her best friend giving his life to save her own.

More tears trickled down her face the more she thought about him.

He kissed her...something he had never done before.

...Now he's gone.

The smell of blood and heavy rain clouded her nose. It felt as though her senses were dissipating, one by one. Her body couldn't possibly get in a worse condition.

Strands of her raven black hair were stuck across her face, slowly creeping their way into her eyes.

Her clothes were tattered and ripped. Accalia tried to summon the strength to form into her wolf, but it was simply impossible. She couldn't focus, and she was too weak. More cries and screams rang in her ears, making her unable to tell how far away she was; but she didn't stop to check.

Axel, she thought miserably. She lost everything. Her pack, her best friend, her territory. Everything was bound to be gone by now. Stolen in a single night.

Suddenly, something caught Accalia's foot, sending a sharp pain up her leg. Her body gave in, and collapsed onto the ground.

Darkness engulfed her, and the screams vanished.