Darkness

Almost four years had passed since that fated attack. Ena fell into a deep depression after suffering the loss of her father. She rejected her quirk entirely, attended a small local high school and kept to herself. Her mother had grown despondent, she went to different support groups and eventually tried to find a sense of normalcy. Ena saw right through her, she was a shell of her former self and Ena didn't want anything to do with it. The warm and welcoming household she knew so well had now grown cold and empty. Ena was hardly home, she didn't want to be in a place that held so many memories of her father. After school she would go running, she'd run for hours with no particular route, she tried to make every day different. After her runs she'd go to the library and read till dark, and when the sun was finally set, she would change and hit different clubs around the city. After visiting every club in her hometown she started taking the train and going to the hottest places in surrounding cities. As she approached the end of her high school career her late night outings had gotten out of hand. She was staying out later and later, if she managed to make it to class she'd sleep through most of it. At this point she gave up on the prospect of attending University, and so had her mother. In fact, her mother was tired of Ena's behavior, and Ena was prepping herself for the day her mom kicked her out of the house, she already had a bag packed. 

 One night Ena had made her way to Hosu, about an hours train ride from her home. She was club hopping which had become her usual routine at this point. It was mid autumn, there was a slight chill in the air but, the breeze made her shiver as she made her way to her next location. Suddenly, she heard a muffled scream coming from the alley across the street. She stopped and looked to see what it was, it was hard to see, the alley was full of trash but, as she got closer she heard a woman's voice scream out " Please! Help me!" There in the dark alley stood three large men, hovering over a frightened woman who looked to be coming home from work. One of them turned to face Ena and in a low, gruff voice said "If you know what's good for you, you'll walk away." Ena smirked and chuckled "If I knew what was good for me..." the thought made her laugh. In her years of running around Japan she learned to become super-vigilant of her surroundings. She could read a room in a matter of seconds and see the fastest escape routes, possible weapons and peoples weak spots. She had been harassed on a number of occasions but she managed to keep herself from any serious situations, and until now she managed to do it all without using her quirk. 

 Hearing her chuckle made the men furious and they stormed to her. She had never taken on three at once without her quirk and in a panic she noticed a long rope hanging from a fire escape above. Moving completely on instinct she uses it, wraps it around all of their throats, and ties them up back to back to back. The men start thrashing about, but as they pull against each other they begin to suffocate. The rope pulls tighter and Ena looks away just until they're unconscious, the woman she rescued watches in horror. She stumbles as she begins to run away, turning back to Ena with tears in her eyes she lets out a very faint "thank you" and runs away as fast as she possibly can. When Ena confirms the men are unconscious she releases the rope and binds their hands behind their backs, leaving them there in the alley for the police to find. As she leaves the scene she can feel the pain from not using her quirk in so long. She had worked so long for so many years to train her quirk, and now she's realized just how much she's lost her endurance with it. When Ena uses her quirk for too long she begins to feel a tightening around her arms paired with a sensation of rope burn; as she reaches her limits, she begins to lose circulation in her arms, as if there were ropes wrapped around them progressively getting tighter. After that, she gets on the train home and collapses into bed as soon as she gets home. She slept through the night for the first time in years. 

 The next day she didn't go out, she stayed home the whole day. Last night awoke something in her, she just didn't know what. Her mom was at work so she had the house to herself. She sat in the living room, quietly observing the room around her. It all looked like a still painting to her, nothing had changed in the years since dad died, everything was in the exact same place she remembered. There was a bookshelf that was filled with family photo albums, her mothers medical books and an big scrapbook of her fathers journey to becoming a pro hero. Memories of her and her mother making this for his birthday flooded her senses. She hesitated as she reached for it but she felt an overwhelming need to look through it. On the floor, she laid on her stomach as she opened the book and began to flip through endless photos and news clippings about her father and his rise to fame. Before she knew it she had looked through every photo album and read every article about her father she could find. There she sat in the middle of her living room floor, photos and books strewn around her. She laid on her back, staring at the ceiling as tears began running down the sides of her face. This was the first time she had allowed herself to cry since his funeral. It felt good. It was then she decided to start using her quirk again, and she knew just how she wanted to use it.